Subject: Re: Re: DVMRP:Prune retransmissions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:00:26 +0530

How would the router know when to stop forwarding?  You can't stop
forwarding on the first prune that you ACK; if there are e.g. 5
downstream dependent neighbors you need to get prunes from each one.
However, you're advocating not tracking from whom prunes have been
received, so can you ever tell when you've gotten prunes from all 5?
(What about getting 5 prunes from one misbehaving neighbor?)

Iam not considering  misbehaving routers, for that matter a misbehaving upstream router may 
totally jeoparadise multicast traffic. I am just asking if it would be possible to simplify the 
information maintained by the protocol data structures and thus speed up the operation. 

Regards,
Vijay

Enter your default signature here
Sent by Indya Messaging Service

---

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 09:27:33 -0400

Hello Vijay,

> I am just asking if it would be possible to simplify the information
> maintained by the protocol data structures and thus speed up the 
> operation. 

Could you provide some specifics?  How slow is your implementation
versus Bill's mrouted release (for that matter, what is the per-packet
forwarding speed of mrouted)?  

By discussing hypotheticals, the thread may go around and round in
circles.  It may be easier if you could provide a specific design
and quantifiable info (eg, amount of less state per <s,g>, reduced
number of control packets?,...) regarding changes you'd like to see.

Then it would be helpful to know how these changes work with the
installed base of DVMRP, or is it meant to be yet another interior
multicast routing protocol?

regards,

-ken