Subject: (KAME-snap 2724) MDO6-kit version 0.1 is now available.

From: IMAI Yuji <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:51:46 +0900

Sorry if you would get duplicated message.

  We are glad to release our MDO6-kit for the Internet research
community.

  The MDO6(Multiple Destination Option on IPv6) is a experimental
protocol that provides multicast system scalable in the number of
multicast group, easy to deploy and suitable for small and private
group communication. We release the MDO6-kit for the purpose to prove
the validity of MDO6.

  MDO6-kit is be acuired from 
    ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/kame/contrib/mdo6/mdo6-kit-20000614.tar.gz

               (Special thanks for KAME project. http://www.kame.net)

  MDO6 is a one of the variants of xcast(Explicit Multicast for small
groups) and we are now collaborating with xcast colleagues. Visit
http://www.alcatel.com/xcast to know what xcast is.

  Here follows README file of MDO6-kit.
                                                               Enjoy!
------------------------
MDO6 Team
FUJITSU LABORATORIES LTD.

=========================================================================

	       README  -MDO6 kit for KAME version 0.1 -

		      FUJITSU LABORATORIES LTD.

                   Wed Jun 14 00:37:13 JST 2000

[What's MDO6.]

  The MDO6(Multiple Destination Option on IPv6) is an IPv6 multicast
system that has following characters.

   - Scalability concerning with the number of multicast groups.

   - Multicast application programs can freely join and prune by
     adding/deleting destination addresses to/from a list of
     destinations without any request for intermediate routers on a
     multicast delivery tree.

  MDO6 is a kind of the Explicit Multicast that is a yet another
multicast mechanism such that datagram has a list of unicast addresses
as a destination of oneself.  Several variants of the Elastic Multicast
are proposed in IETF and we have collaborating group named xcast to
achieve the standard of Explicit Multicast.

 See http://www.alcatel.com/xcast for more details about the explicit
Multicast and the xcast group.

[Kit]

  Current MDO6 kit includes 4 parts.

  - patch for KAME ( ./mdo6_for_kame228_200004.diff )
      Based on the kame IPv6 protocol stack. (See http://www.kame.net)
      It is base on the KAME stable_200004.

  - vic/MDO6 ( ./vic/ ) 
      vic(VIdeo Conference tool) was originally written by LNBL
      (http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vic/). This version is based on the
      UCLA version().

  - rat/MDO6 ( ./rat )

  - documents ( ./doc/ )

      draft-imai-mdo6-01.txt: 
         Internet Draft of MDO6.

      ja/EM6.tex:
         A memorandum of structure and API of MDO6 modification.
         (Sorry, it is written in Japanese.)

      README:
         This file.

[Environment]

  We are driving our experiment network with following machines and
  cards.

  Hardware:

	i386 PC-ATs:

	Video Captured Card:  Hauppauge! WinTV GO for PCI

           Using FreeBSD BT848/BT878 Driver version 1.74. 
           ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/driver/1.74

	Sound Card:           AOpen AW35(CS4237 chip), SB16

           Using build in pcm driver in FreeBSD 2.2.8 .

  Operating System:
	FreeBSD 2.2.8

  IPv6 Protocol Stack 
	KAME stable_200004
        ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/kame/stable/kame-20000425-freebsd228-stable.tgz

[Install]

  - Patch for KAME
	
      i) acquire KAME source & mdo6 kit

         % setenv BASE_DIR `pwd`
         % tar zxfv kame-20000425-freebsd228-stable.tgz
         % tar zxfv mdo6-kit-20000614.tgz

      ii) patch the diff for KAME tree

         % cd $BASE_DIR
         % patch -p0 < $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/mdo6_kame_stable_200004.diff

      iii) build & install as same was as ordinal KAME.
           GENERIC.v6+EM6 is a sample configuration file for MDO6.  In
           order to use MDO6, append ``option EM6'' in your CONFIGFILE.
           (MDO6 is formaly called EM6: Elastic Multicast over IPv6)

           You had better read KAME INSTALL documents first.

           You must append pcm(sound card) options and bt848(video
           capture) drivers if you try to use RAT or vic. See pcm
           manuals and documents for bt848 driver.

         % make TARGET=freebsd2 prepare
         % cd $BASE_DIR/kame/freebsd2/sys/i386/conf
         % config GENERIC.v6+EM6
         % cd ../../compile/GENERIC.v6+EM6
         % make depend
         % make 

         # make install

         % cd $BASE_DIR/kame/freebsd2/
         % make includes

         # make install-includes
           (/usr/include/em6lib.h & /usr/include/netinet/em6.h are installed.)
         
         % make
           ($BASE_DIR/kame/freebsd2/lib/libem6/libem6.a is build.)

         # make install 
           (/usr/local/v6/lib/libem6.a is installed.)

       iv) Edit /usr/local/v6/etc/rc.net6, /etc/rc.local and /etc/inetd.conf.
           and reboot.

  - VIC

       i) add package of tcl7.5 & tk4.1 from FreeBSD 2.2.8 RELEASE
          pkg_add or use /stand/sysinstall will be convineint.

       ii) build, make & install

         % cd $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/vic
         % ./configure
         % make

         # make install

        You can specify the destination by -l option following ','
        (comma) separated IPv6 addresses and hostnames instead of the
        group multicast address. You must specify dummy string name as
        a hostname but just ignored.

        % vic -n ip6 -l node1,3ffe:501:100d:4000::1234,node3 dummy/11111

  - RAT

     i) build libraries.(Tcl, Tk and common)

         % cd $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/rat/tcl-8.0/unix
         % ./configure
         % make
         % cd $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/rat/tk-8.0/unix
         % ./configure
         % make
         % cd $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/rat/common/
         % ./configure --enable-ipv6 --enable-mdo6
         % make

     ii) build rat & install

         % cd $BASE_DIR/mdo6-kit-20000614/rat/rat
         % ./configure --enable-ipv6 --enable-mdo6
         % make

         # make install

     iii) enjoy RAT/MDO6

        You can specify the destination by ','(comma) separated IPv6
        addresses and hostnames instead of the group multicast
        address.

        % rat-4.2.4 node1,3ffe:501:100d:4000::1234,node3/11111

[Contact]

  In order to discuss about MDO6, we maintained ML for users
  "[email-masked]" .

  To subscribe, Send majordomo type control message like following.

     % mail [email-masked]
     subscribe mdo6-users
     ^D

  If you wish to contact with core team directly, you can send message
  for "[email-masked]".

[Todo]

  - En-comment and clean up of em6.[ch], em6lib.h, libem6/*[ch]
  - Manuals
  - Code for FreeBSD[3,4], NetBSD and OpenBSD.
  - Tractable list mechanism is written but not tested at all.
  - Implement the port list option.
  - Distribute applications in FreeBSD package style.

  - bzflag/MDO6 is under development....

                                                          Enjoy!

                                                       MDO6 Team
                                        FUJITSU LABORATORIES LTD.