Subject: WG Last Call: Multicast Router Discovery to Proposed Standard

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:35:11 -0700

Dear IDMR WG,

  This is a 2 week Working Group Last Call for IGMP Multicast
Router Discovery, draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-04.txt, to
Proposed Standard.

	Title		: IGMP Multicast Router Discovery
	Author(s)	: S. Biswas, B. Cain, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-04.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 13-Jul-00

	Companies have been proposing IGMP snooping schemes for
	layer-2 bridging devices.  A method for discovering multicast
	capable routers is necessary for these schemes.	 An IGMP
	query message is inadequate for discovering multicast
	routers as one querier is elected.  In order to 'discover'
	multicast routers, we introduce two new types of IGMP
	messages: Multicast Router Advertisement and Multicast
	Router Solicitation.  These two messages can be used by
	any device which listens to IGMP to discovery multicast
	routers. Multicast Router Solicitation messages may be used
	by any network device (e.g. layer-2 switch) to solicit
	discovery messages from multicast routers.

  Please comment by Friday, July 28, 2000, on the IDMR mailing list
<[email-masked]> or directly to working group chair,
<[email-masked]>.

Thanks,
  Bill