Subject: Protocol Action: IP Multicast Routing MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:27:43 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts:

 o IP Multicast Routing MIB <draft-ietf-idmr-multicast-routmib-14.txt>
   as a Proposed Standard.

 o Internet Group Management Protocol MIB
   <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mib-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

 o Protocol Independent Multicast MIB <draft-ietf-idmr-pim-mib-11.txt>
   as an Experimental Protocol.

These documents are the product of the Inter-Domain Multicast Routing
Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mib defines a portion of the Management
Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the
Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects used for
managing the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), version 1 or
version 2.  All of this MIB module is applicable to IPv4 multicast
routers; a subset is applicable to hosts implementing IGMP.  This MIB
does not support management of IGMP or equivalent functionality for
other address families, such as IPv6.  Such management may be supported
by other MIBs.

draft-ietf-idmr-pim-mib defines a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.  In particular, it describes managed objects used for
managing the Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) protocol (RFC2362).
This MIB module is applicable to IPv4 multicast routers which implement
PIM.  This MIB does not support management of PIM for other address
families, including IPv6.  Such management may be supported by other
MIBs.

draft-ietf-idmr-multicast-routmib defines an experimental portion of
the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management
protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it describes
managed objects used for managing IP Multicast Routing for IPv4,
independent of the specific multicast routing protocol in use.

Working Group Summary
 
There was no significant dissent from the working group regarding these
documents.

Protocol Quality
 
These drafts were reviewed by John Flick and Bert Wijnen for the IESG.
There are implementations of these MIBs.

Note to RFC Editor:

   The IESG requests the RFC Editor to remove the word experimental from
   both the abstract and introduction of draft-ietf-idmr-multicast-routmib.