Subject: Re: Use of srcmask in prune/grafts

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:15:38 -0700

^ 
 ^ PIM has never specified how non-host masks work in joins and prunes.
 ^ 

FWIW:
A prune for a non-host mask might be useful, but

A join sent for a non-host mask doesn't make sense.  This was discovered
during the first implementations of PIM 6 years ago.

Perhaps someone has a 'good idea'?  Remember that PIM depends on the
unicast routing to make a decision and so you (theoretically) could end up
with a join for 0.0.0.0/0 [default].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John Zwiebel                       Phone: 408-526-5303
	Cisco Systems Inc.                 
	IP Multicast Group

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:38:05 -0700

DVMRPv3 applies prunes to routes; the netmask in a prune is used to
ensure that the right route is matched.  The netmask is not arbitrary;
it must either exactly match a route in routing table or be all-1's
(for a source-specific prune).  Other masks will be ignored.

PIM has never specified how non-host masks work in joins and prunes.

  Bill