Subject: Assert messages in PIM-SM

From: Vinodkumar Parasmal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:02:51 +0530

Hi all,
I have a doubt regarding PIM-SM Assert and DR Mechanisms in  multi-access
LANs.I could not justify why we need Assert when we have a DR Election
mechanism and a DR Elected thro' that mechanism.According to my
understanding the DR will be responsible for sending all PIM control packets
and forwarding Multicast Data .
Could somebody point out the different scenarios which explain the need for
both the mechanisms .

Thanks in Advance
Vinod

---

From: Billy Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:54:51 -0500

Hi Vinodkumar,

first of all, this question belongs to the pim mailing list,
so I am forwarding to it also.

Basically your question on the role of the DR is valid if
you don't have any downstream router.  If there is a downstream
router, that router can send a join/prune toward its RPF neighbor
which could be different from that of the DR, so assert could happen
when data comes down both the RPF router and the DR router.

--Billy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vinodkumar Parasmal [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 5:33 AM
> To: IDMR
> Subject: Assert messages in PIM-SM
> 
> 
> Hi all,