Subject: Java and IGMP

From: Tom LODGE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:20:56 +0000

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a Java socket so that it can see 
IGMP packets?

Tom

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:46:51 -0500

> Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a Java socket so that it can see

We did a test player using the Java Media Framework -

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/

which worked, so it must have sent IGMP - and thus, had to listen to IGMP as well.
I don't know about the details, as I was not directly involved.

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email-masked]     [email-masked]

http://www.on-the-i.com http://www.buzzwaves.com

---

From: Alberto Cerpa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:00:18 -0800 (PST)

A rather indirect way to do achieve this, it's by using the Java Native
Interface.  This is how the ISI's Java RSVP implementation works in native
mode.

Regards,
-Alberto.

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:36:02 -0800

^ Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a Java socket so that it can se
    e 
 ^ IGMP packets?
 ^ 

Tom:

FWIW, I'm "assuming" that you want to do this so you can get your
browser to start up a multicast application.  If not, well, here's 
some information you might use anyway.

The university of Oregon is doing SSM (Source Specific Multicast) testing:
  http://videolab.uoregon.edu/

And they have pointers to the IGMPv3 stacks for FreeBSD and Linux.

They also have a project that supports URD (Universal Resource Directory)
that uses a cgi script and IOS 12.1(5)T (available since 28 Nov) to
support SSM.  URD does not require any update on the application or
the host stack to make it work.  URD uses a HTML redirect that is 
intercepted by the last hop router to give the last hop both the
Source and Group address.  The last-hop then triggers a PIM (S,G) join
toward the source without building a shared-tree.   (Like all SSM)

I can provide you with a kludge cgi script if you are interested, but
the UofO has a much better one.

12.1(5)T supports URD, v3-lite and IGMPv3  (IGMPv3 is not supported
on the router as a host)

More information is available at:
  ftp://ftp-eng/ipmulticast/ssm/index.html

I hope this information helps you follow a different path to your goal.

z

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John Zwiebel                       Phone: 408-526-5303
	Cisco Systems Inc.                 
	IP Multicast Group

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:20:00 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, Alberto C

 >>Interface.  This is how the ISI's Java RSVP implementation works in native
 
 Alberto,

yes - i think our problem is that we don't want to do too much
violvence to the java secuity model (not that anyone thinks much of it
w.r.t multicast yet..though there are some reasonable initial stabs at
it) - reason is tha tthe context of the work is for a proxylet (or
servlet or maybe applet)

actually, in general, a secure api/class library (with access control
integrated with sudo and/or other
things) for 
java to packet filters would be the general solution....

 >>> Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a Java socket so that it can see 

 cheers

   jon

---

From: Atanu Ghosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:01:48 +1100

Tom> Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a Java socket so
    Tom> that it can see IGMP packets?

When I attempted to do this the only solution that I could come up
with was to tell the Kernel that I was an mrouted. This requires the code
to run as root and for native C code.

I can send you my test code if you like.

  Atanu.