Subject: Question about igmpCacheStatus object in IGMP MIB

From: "Nakanishi, Greg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:33:23 -0500

Could someone elaborate on the use of the igmpCacheStatus object in the IGMP
MIB.

The igmpCacheStatus object has an access of read-create.  

Is the intent to be able to statically provision multicast groups?

What should happen if this entry is deleted for a dynamically created
multicast group?  It seems to me that a subsequent membership report would
simply recreated the entry - probably not the desired behavior.  Is there a
way through the IGMP MIB to control which multicast groups are allowed?

thanks, greg

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:52:11 -0800

Greg,

Creation of rows in the igmpCacheTable is meant to allow management
stations to cause managed systems to join groups.  (Note objects in
igmpBaseMIBGroup vs. igmpRouterMIBGroup).  The behavior when deleting rows
that were created by a router performing the IGMP protocol is undefined;
the agent could refuse to delete the row or allow it to be recreated.

  Bill