Subject: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:23:07 -0700 (PDT)

Multicast Last-Mile Solutions BOF

DESCRIPTION:

Successful content distribution business plans have been hampered by the
all-or-nothing nature of a multicast routed infrastructure. Several drafts
have arisen over the past few years to address the last-mile multicast
deployment gap, but have all lost momentum for various reasons. Recent
efforts on yet another draft have revealed the need to have all affected
parties participate in the effort in order to provide a comprehensive yet
simple and deployable solution.

A content owner which wishes to build a buisness model around multicast
distribution is hampered by the current limited scope of multicast
deployment. Their only option today is to purchase multicast transit
services from their provider of choice which does not ensure the path
between their content and their customers is multicast enabled. The
administrative control of the multicast topology in this relationship is
restricted to the provider and the content customer. The missing step on
the path to full multicast deployment will require a solution which
allows the content owner the benefits of multicast replication,
independent of the radius of the multicast deployment.

The purpose of this BOF is to bring together operators, content
providers/owners, application and protocol implementors to discuss the
problem and worked towards a mutually desired solution. The expected
outcome will be an evaluation of interest, a better defined problem
statement, directions for any future progress from the BOF
participants.

AGENDA:

1. Agenda Bashing (all)
2. Problem description (shep - 10min)
3. Discussion of current gaps and future direction (from the floor)

WEB REFERNCE:
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/last-mile

RELEVANT PAST WORK: (this list is possibly incomplete - please send
updates)
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/upim/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-01.txt
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/upim/draft-finlayson-mboned-autotunneling-00.txt
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/upim/draft-finlayson-umtp-07.txt
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/upim/draft-keyur-pim-host-extensions-00.txt
http://www.shepfarm.com/multicast/upim/draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt

MAILLIST:
http://www.shepfarm.com/mailman/listinfo/mtp