Subject: Re: Headers that define other headers and non-SMTP environments (was: Re: [EAI] The Header-Type header (was: Re: Status of utf8header draft))

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:07:25 -0500

--On Tuesday, 30 January, 2007 17:47 +0000 Charles Lindsey
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> That was, incidentally, one of the problems I had with DKIM.
> They sign the body of a message in its on-the-wire form, and
> so subsequent changes of encoding (e.g. for downgrading in
> 8BITMIME) will break it. They get around that by RECOMMENDING
> that all signed messages should be sent in 7bit form, which is
> the last thing we would want to be doing with our UTF8SMTP
> messages.

And this is exactly why we can't try to fix DKIM or make
adjustments for them.  As long as they have a recommendation for
7bit-only messages (assuming that is the case), there is nothing
that we can usefully do -- they need to fix their own protocol,
presumably after we finish, or they need to look at our work and
make recommendations that represent DKIM WG consensus.

    john

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 17:29:53 +0200

> make recommendations that represent DKIM WG consensus.

Well, there is that encapsulation draft which you strongly 
encouraged me to write :-)

/ Kari Hurtta

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:33:59 -0500

--On Wednesday, 31 January, 2007 17:29 +0200 Kari Hurtta
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> adjustments for them.  As long as they have a recommendation
>> for 7bit-only messages (assuming that is the case), there is
>> nothing that we can usefully do -- they need to fix their own
>> protocol, presumably after we finish, or they need to look at
>> our work and make recommendations that represent DKIM WG
>> consensus.
>> 
>>     john
> 

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it fixes --or is even
helpful with-- the stability of DKIM header-signing.  If
everything, including the headers, is in seven-bit form, then
there is no such thing as an internationalized address.

     john