Subject: [EAI] ASCII escapes for Unicode characters

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:42:46 -0500

Hi.

At the Apps Area meeting at the last IETF, there was a
discussion of ways of referring to or escaping a Unicode
character in an ASCII protocol or context.  I took an action to
write a short I-D that explicitly recommended the use of form
that reference Unicode code points directly rather than, e.g.,
encoding the octets of UTF-8.

Because people on these two lists are deeply involved with
internationalization issues, it seemed desirable to call your
attention to this draft.  Those on the EAI list should also note
its small interaction with the DSN draft.

The document has been posted as
draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-00.txt.  With the concurrence of
the ADs, discussion has been directed to the
[email-masked] list.   If you have comments, please
direct them to that list and _not_ to either of these two lists.

thanks,
     john

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 06:50:36 +0100

John C Klensin wrote:

 [http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-unicode-escapes]
> With the concurrence of the ADs, discussion has been directed
> to the [email-masked] list.   If you have comments,
> please direct them to that list and _not_ to either of these
> two lists.

Please propose an _unmoderated_ list for the discussion of this
draft.  The topic is also interesting for COSMOGOL because it
was recently discussed there, for LTRU because we intentionally
picked the &#x102345; style there, and maybe it's also relevant
for I-D.phillips-record-jar

Frank

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 06:50:36 +0100

John C Klensin wrote:

Frank