Subject: Re: [EAI] Discussion of draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-03/04

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:51:54 -0700

[[ sorry for the late reply, I just noticed that this message has 
been in my Out mailbox for some time and was never sent ]]

At 4:00 PM +0000 3/20/07, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>  You also need an example such as
>        non-ASCII@non-ASCII
>  since we agreed that a pure <utf8-addr-spec> without "<...>" would 
> still be allowed, and your syntax shows it.

Did we?  I don't recall this.  Can you remind me when we did so?
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible, and wrong.                            --H.L. Mencken

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:36:45 +0100

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:51:54 +0100, Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> [[ sorry for the late reply, I just noticed that this message has been  
> in my Out mailbox for some time and was never sent ]]
>

There was a very long thread entitled "[EAI] other thought about
<eai@address <ascii@address>>" which started on 29th January, and went all
around this subject. There were some possible ambiguities exhibited which
were shown to be safe if the syntax of RFC 2822 was followed (though a few
agents parsed them wrongly). There was also a bug identified in the ABNF
of Utf8headers which has since been fixed. And there were various other
Red Herrings that got discussed.

But my interpretation of the outcome was that the consensus was to allow
      To: non-ASCII@non-ASCII
Only yourself (and possibly Soobok) appeared to be against.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:31:24 +0200

> Only yourself (and possibly Soobok) appeared to be against.

 <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.ima/1330>
| (a) Any Mailbox or uMailbox (in the strict definitions
| of 2821 and eai-smtpext, respectively) that contains
| any non-ASCII character(s) MUST appear in brackets.

Trying to reconstruct this I think Soobok said that it's
not good enough, and I said that it's better than nothing.

Frank