Subject: Re: [EAI] Discussion of draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 20:37:25 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
To: "IMA" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [EAI] Discussion of draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04

> 
>>> 2.6.  Body Parts and SMTP Extensions
>>>
>>>    Assuming that the server advertises UTF8SMTP and 8BITMIME, and at
>>>    least one non-ASCII address, with or without ALT-ADDRESS, the precise
>>>    interpretation of these parameters on the MAIL command is:
>>>
>>>    1.  Headers are in UTF-8, body parts are in ASCII.
>>>    2.  Headers are in UTF-8, some or all body parts contain 8-bit line-
>>>        oriented data.
>>>    3.  Headers are in UTF-8, some or all body parts contain binary data
>>>        without restriction as to line lengths or delimiters.
>>>
>>> I do not understand how those three numbered items are supposed to  
>>> relate
>>> to any parameters in a MAIL command.
>>
>> it is related for DATA commands when both UTF8SMTP and 8BITMIME are  
>> advertised. We put the text here for clarification reason
>> because some readers does not clearly know body parts are UTF-8 or  
>> binary data when headers are UTF-8.
> 
> Yes, but that seems to be nothing to do with the MAIL command or its  
> parameters, so the wording needs to be clarified.
>>

I chech RFC 1652, there is a Mail command usage about body-8bitmime in section 4:

   C: MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]> BODY=8BITMIME
   S: 250 <[email-masked]>... Sender and 8BITMIME ok
   C: RCPT TO:<[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 20:51:56 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
To: "IMA" <[email-masked]>; "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [EAI] Discussion of draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04

>   C: RCPT TO:<[email-masked]>

This section will be updated to the follow text:

   There is no ESMTP parameter which tell whether hte message is
   UTF8SMTP message, SMTP server needs parse all message header fields
   (including header fields from MIME body parts) to discover which
   messages are UTF8SMTP.  While this specification requires that
   servers support the 8BITMIME extension [RFC1652] to ensure that
   servers have adequate handling capability for 8-bit data and to avoid
   a number of complex encoding problems, the use of internationalized
   addresses obviously does not require non-ASCII body parts in the MIME
   message.  The UTF8SMTP extension MAY be used with the BODY=8BITMIME
   parameter if that is appropriate given the body content or, if the
   server advertises it and it is appropriate, with the BODY=BINARYMIME
   parameter specified in [RFC3030].

   Assuming that the server advertises UTF8SMTP and 8BITMIME, and at
   least one non-ASCII address, with or without ALT-ADDRESS, the precise
   interpretation of these parameters of "No "Body" parameter"", "BODY=
   8BITMIME", and "BODY= BINARY" on the MAIL command is:
   1.  For No "Body" parameter, headers are in UTF-8, body parts are in
       ASCII.
   2.  For BODY=8BITMIME parameter, headers are in UTF-8, some or all
       body parts contain 8-bit line-oriented data.
   3.  For BODY=BINARYMIME parameter, headers are in UTF-8, some or all
       body parts contain binary data without restriction as to line
       lengths or delimiters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------