Subject: [EAI] [eai] rfc5335bis #8 (new): POLL: new text in Abstract section in RFC5335bis to replace the original

From: "eai issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:30:39 -0000

#8: POLL: new text in Abstract section in RFC5335bis to replace the original

 POLL: Is the new text in Abstract section in RFC5335bis good to replace
 the original?

 new text
 --------
 Abstract

    Internet mail was originally limited to 7-bit ASCII.  Recent
    enhancements support Unicode's UTF-8 encoding in portions of a
    message.  Full internationalization of electronic mail requires
    additional enhancement, including support for UTF-8 in user-oriented
    header fields, such as in the To, From, and Subject fields.  This
    document specifies an enhancement to Internet mail that permits
    native UTF-8 support in the header and body of a message.

 --------

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jyee@…                |       Owner:      
     Type:  state                 |      Status:  new 
 Priority:  major                 |   Milestone:      
Component:  rfc5335bis            |     Version:      
 Severity:  Active WG Document    |    Keywords:  poll
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/trac/ticket/8>
eai <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/>

---

From: "eai issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:37:22 -0000

Description changed by jyee@…:

>    native UTF-8 support in the header and body of a message.

New description:

 new text
 --------
 Abstract

 --------

 original text
 --------

 Abstract

    Full internationalization of electronic mail requires not only the
    capabilities to transmit non-ASCII content, to encode selected
    information in specific header fields, and to use non-ASCII
    characters in envelope addresses.  It also requires being able to
    express those addresses and the information based on them in mail
    header fields.  This document specifies a variant of Internet mail
    that permits the use of Unicode encoded in UTF-8, rather than ASCII,
    as the base form for Internet email header field.  This form is
    permitted in transmission only if authorized by an SMTP extension, as
    specified in an associated specification.  This specification updates
    Section 6.4 of [RFC2045] to conform with the requirements.

 --------

--

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/trac/ticket/8#comment:1>
eai <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/>