Subject: [EAI] Internationalization Terminlogy

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:28:11 -0400

Hi.

If you have any significant interest in internationalization,
and particular terminology used about it in the IETF, please
have a look at draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3435bis-00.   Paul and I
have several editorial and fine-tuning comments queued up, but
are looking for more comments before we submit another draft and
ask the Apps Area WG Chairs to generate a Last Call within that
WG.  In other words, your last and best opportunity to submit
effective comments is now.

We are particularly interested in comments about what has been
left out that is relevant and important.  Comments about
definitions we have gotten wrong are also important.

FWIW, we are determined to keep focus on what the title
suggests: internationalization terminology used in the IETF (and
in IETF protocol work in particular).  Unless there is strong
demand in the community to change goals, we do not want to
expand this document into a general discussion of either
i18n/l10n issues that includes ones that the IETF has not
addressed and is never likely to address, nor a discussion of
character set terminology that has not been needed for IETF
work, etc.

Note for EAI participants: It is my hope that EAI documents will
be consistent with these definitions and will, where
appropriate, reference this document rather than inventing
definitions of their own.  

Note for IDNABIS participants: Note that this document does not
alter, or even repeat, any IDNA terminology.  IDNA-specific
terms are simply listed and cross-referenced to RFC 5890.

Substantive comments to [email-masked] please; editorial
ones to Paul and myself.

thanks,
   john

---

From: "J-F C. Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 01:27:18 +0200

John,
Good work. I have just searched the text for some words. I note that:

- "globalization" is missing which is embarassing as Unicode uses to 
say (if I am correct) globalization = internationalization  + 
localization + language tagging.
- "langtag" term is missing, so is their IANA table (largest by far 
IANA file). RFC 5646 is named. RFC 4647 is  quoted, but not 
explained, so  "language filtering" is not alluded to.
- "linguistic diversity" is missing. Not an IETF word but the IETF 
targets its support?
- "majuscules" are named, but uncorrectly explained: in latin 
languages, at least, an upper case may be a majuscule, but a 
majuscule may not be printed as an upper case, or stays a majuscule 
even if incorrectly printed as a lower case.
- "plurilingual" is not quoted which is different from multilingual?
- "linguistic independance" is not alluded to - ex. using digital codes.
- "orthotypograpy" is missing in IETF

jfc

At 18:28 15/05/2011, John C Klensin wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>Idna-update mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/idna-update