Subject: Re: [EAI] translations of "trusted domain" for IDN testing

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:34:17 +0900

I am also fine with 信任域 .

To Yao,

Don't we have a simplified version of 信任域 ?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM, YAO Jiankang <[email-masked]> wrote:
> pls see the attached pic.
>
>
> In your mail:
>>From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
>>Reply-To:
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: [EAI] translations of "trusted domain" for IDN testing
>>Date:Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:05:45 +0900
>>
>>We, Koreans, use Chinese derived words very heavily though usually
>>written in Hagul rather than Chinese characters. As one of those
>>Koreans, given translation is not acceptable at all. Better
>>translation is
>
>
>

-- 
a human known as [email-masked] @ gtalk

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:43:21 +0900

Hello Yangwoo,

Are you saying this for (Sino-)Korean or for Chinese itself?

 From Japanese, I know that often, the very same combination of Han 
characters (Hanzi/Hanja/Kanji) can be used both in Japanese and in 
Chinese for the same meaning, but in many other cases, it doesn't work 
so directly, and sometimes, it's very confusing or even dangerous. The 
most famous example is that 手紙 means letter in Japanese but toilet 
paper in Chinese :-(.

Regards,   Martin.

On 2011/06/16 11:34, Yangwoo Ko wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM, YAO Jiankang<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>> From: Yangwoo Ko<[email-masked]>
>>> Reply-To:
>>> To: [email-masked]

---

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:59:26 +0900

For Koreans only. Though I guess that 信任域 is acceptable (or at least
recognizable) for Chinese and Japanese as well as Korean.

Just for your fun, in Japanese according to my dictionary, letter can
be written either as 手紙 or as 書簡. The former is totally meaningless to
Korean unlike Chinese. The latter is understood as letter but is
seldomly used these days.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> characters (Hanzi/Hanja/Kanji) can be used both in Japanese and in Chinese
> for the same meaning, but in many other cases, it doesn't work so directly,
> and sometimes, it's very confusing or even dangerous. The most famous
> example is that 手紙 means letter in Japanese but toilet paper in Chinese :-(.
>
> Regards,   Martin.
>

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:35:05 -0700

Folks,

MANY thanks for the multiple responses.  They were all extremely helpful.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net