Subject: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:12:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Internationalized Delivery Status and Disposition Notifications
	Author(s)       : Tony Hansen
                          Chris Newman
                          Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   Delivery status notifications (DSNs) are critical to the correct
   operation of an email system.  However, the existing Draft Standards
   (RFC 3461, RFC 3462, RFC 3464) are presently limited to US-ASCII text
   in the machine-readable portions of the protocol.  This specification
   adds a new address type for international email addresses so an
   original recipient address with non-US-ASCII characters can be
   correctly preserved even after downgrading.  This also provides
   updated content return media types for delivery status notifications
   and message disposition notifications to support use of the new
   address type.

   This document extends RFC 3461, RFC 3462, RFC 3464, and RFC 3798.  It
   replaces the experimental RFC 5337.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-03.txt

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:30:31 -0400

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-03.txt

Although I wrote the bulk of the initial text, I am no longer primary 
editor and have not reviewed this since a draft of 5337 so was able to look 
at it with fresh eyes. I believe this is ready for last call and ready to 
publish. Some very minor issues:

1. The references to UTF8SMTP need to be changed to the UTF8SMTPbis 
placeholder throughout the document.

2. My company affiliation is out-of-date. It is now Oracle (postal address 
is still valid).

3. I suggest renaming utf-8-addr-xtext to utf-8-addr-7bit to improve 
readability.

4. Section 6.2 should say that RFC XXXX replaces the reference to RFC 5337 
in the registry.

I saw no other issues.

		- Chris

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 01:09:48 -0400

Thanks for the review Chris. More below.

On 7/28/2011 6:30 PM, Chris Newman wrote:
> editor and have not reviewed this since a draft of 5337 so was able to 
> look at it with fresh eyes. I believe this is ready for last call and 
> ready to publish. Some very minor issues:
>

Where is there an instance where it does *not* reference 5336bis?

> 2. My company affiliation is out-of-date. It is now Oracle (postal 
> address is still valid).

fixed

> 3. I suggest renaming utf-8-addr-xtext to utf-8-addr-7bit to improve 

Seems reasonable.

> 4. Section 6.2 should say that RFC XXXX replaces the reference to RFC 
> 5337 in the registry.

Okay.

>         - Chris

Merci!

     Tony Hansen

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:26:36 -0400

> Where is there an instance where it does *not* reference 5336bis?

The text in RFC 5336 implies that the "UTF8SMTPbis" keyword will be changed 
to some as-yet-unspecified value at publication. RFC 5337bis needs to use 
that same unspecified value. If that as-yet-unspecified value is anything 
other than "UTF8SMTP", then RFC 5337 has a bug.

		- Chris