Subject: [EAI] Last Call: <draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-12.txt> (Internationalized Email Headers) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:08:35 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Email Address
Internationalization WG (eai) to consider the following document:
- 'Internationalized Email Headers'
  <draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Internet mail was originally limited to 7-bit ASCII.  MIME added
   support for the use of 8-bit character sets in body parts, and also
   defined an encoded-word construct so other character sets could be
   used in certain header field values.  But full internationalization
   of electronic mail requires additional enhancements to allow the use
   of Unicode, including characters outside the ASCII repertoire, in
   mail addresses as well as direct use of Unicode in header fields like
   From:, To:, and Subject:, without requiring the use of complex
   encoded-word constructs.  This document specifies an enhancement to
   the Internet Message Format that allows use of Unicode in mail
   addresses and most header field content.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.