Subject: [EAI] Last Call: <draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-12.txt> (Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:08:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Email Address
Internationalization WG (eai) to consider the following document:
- 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email'
  <draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Please note that an earlier revision of this document was already
approved by the IESG for publication as Informational. This document has
references to and from draft-ietf-eai-5335bis and
draft-ietf-eai-5336bis. As a result of IESG comments during IESG
Evaluation of those two documents, the WG felt that they needed to make
changes to this document and change its status to Standards Track from
Informational. It is now being re-considered for Proposed Standard.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-11-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Full use of electronic mail throughout the world requires that
   (subject to other constraints) people be able to use close variations
   on their own names (written correctly in their own languages and
   scripts) as mailbox names in email addresses.  This document
   introduces a series of specifications that define mechanisms and
   protocol extensions needed to fully support internationalized email
   addresses.  These changes include an SMTP extension and extension of
   email header syntax to accommodate UTF-8 data.  The document set also
   includes discussion of key assumptions and issues in deploying fully
   internationalized email.  This document is a replacement for RFC
   4952; it reflects additional issues identified since that document
   was published.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.