Subject: [EAI] [Errata Verified] RFC6855 (4029)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 09:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6855,
"IMAP Support for UTF-8". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6855&eid=4029

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-06-27
Verified by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 3

Original Text
-------------
   Once an IMAP client has enabled UTF-8 support with the "ENABLE
   UTF8=ACCEPT" command, it MUST NOT issue a "SEARCH" command that
   contains a charset specification.  If an IMAP server receives such a
   "SEARCH" command in that situation, it SHOULD reject the command with
   a "BAD" response (due to the conflicting charset labels).

Corrected Text
--------------
   Once an IMAP client has enabled UTF-8 support with the "ENABLE
   UTF8=ACCEPT" command, it MUST NOT issue a "SEARCH" command that
   contains a charset specification.  If an IMAP server receives such a
   "SEARCH" command in that situation, it SHOULD reject the command with
   a "BAD" response (due to the conflicting charset labels). This also
   applies to any IMAP command or extension that includes a charset
   label and associated strings in the command arguments. Such
   extensions presently include SORT, THREAD and MULTISEARCH.

Notes
-----
This is a straightforward extrapolation of the existing text, but a literal reading of the existing text is silent about how to deal with this situation.

--------------------------------------
RFC6855 (draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-12)
--------------------------------------
Title               : IMAP Support for UTF-8
Publication Date    : March 2013
Author(s)           : P. Resnick, Ed., C. Newman, Ed., S. Shen, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Email Address Internationalization
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG