Subject: [EAI] [Errata Verified] RFC6855 (4029)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:49:16 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6855,
"IMAP Support for UTF-8". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6855&eid=4029

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-06-27
Verified by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 3

Original Text
-------------
   Once an IMAP client has enabled UTF-8 support with the "ENABLE
   UTF8=ACCEPT" command, it MUST NOT issue a "SEARCH" command that
   contains a charset specification.  If an IMAP server receives such a
   "SEARCH" command in that situation, it SHOULD reject the command with
   a "BAD" response (due to the conflicting charset labels).

Corrected Text
--------------
   Once an IMAP client has enabled UTF-8 support with the "ENABLE
   UTF8=ACCEPT" command, it MUST NOT issue a "SEARCH" command that
   contains a charset specification. If an IMAP server receives such a
   "SEARCH" command in that situation, it SHOULD reject the command with
   a "BAD" response (due to the conflicting charset labels). This also
   applies to any IMAP command or extension that includes an optional
   charset label and associated strings in the command arguments,
   including the MULTISEARCH extension. For commands with a mandatory
   charset field, such as SORT and THREAD, servers SHOULD reject charset
   values other than UTF-8 with a “BAD” response (due to the conflicting
   charset labels).

Notes
-----
This is a straightforward extrapolation of the existing text, but a literal reading of the existing text is silent about how to deal with this situation.

--------------------------------------
RFC6855 (draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-12)
--------------------------------------
Title               : IMAP Support for UTF-8
Publication Date    : March 2013
Author(s)           : P. Resnick, Ed., C. Newman, Ed., S. Shen, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Email Address Internationalization
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG