Subject: [Ioam] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 06:59:59 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ioam/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not balloting BLOCK because my biggest question matches Stephen's
BLOCK, but if he clears and I still have that question, I'd ballot BLOCK
myself.

Re: Stephen's BLOCK, I also don't understand how PLUS has privacy
problems that IOAM doesn't have. I'd also like to push that discussion a
bit, before chartering the work.

I know IOAM hasn't agreed on data formats, but I'm curious how long
(measured in bytes) IOAM records are expected to be, and what the plan
for PMTU discovery will be, given that we think ICMP blocking makes PMTUD
unreliable and PLPMTUD is only defined on a per-transport protocol basis.
I'm especially curious since the charter (correctly, I think) notes that
IOAM records at multiple levels of tunneling would be useful - won't each
layer that includes IOAM records chew away at the PMTU available for
higher-level protocols? This is the type of thing I'd hope for
involvement from TSVWG about.

If the answer turns out to be that today's Internet can do jumbo-frames
comfortably, that would be awesome, and should set off a rousing round of
protocol engineering that recognizes this new answer.

I'm also curious if any of the metrics that IPPM has developed would be
useful for IOAM (recognizing that the method of collecting information
for metrics is different between IPPM and IOAM). Is there a plan to do a
gap analysis, and see what new metrics are needed?