Subject: Question about WW_NN and RFC 2625

From: "Weber, William L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:48:30 -0500

I have a question concerning RFC 2625, IP and ARP over Fibre Channel, and
Network_Address_Authority (NAA) of World Wide Names (WWN).  I thought this
would be the proper forum to present the question.
The question is: 
   Can the Node WWN (WW_NN) use NAA=5 for IEEE registered format and still
be 
   compliant/compatible with RFC 2625?  

I understand that the RFC 2625 requires the Port WWN (WW_PN) to use NAA = 1
for IEEE 48-bit addresses.  RFC 2625 does not explicitly state the NAA for
the WW_NN, however the examples in Appendix E (i.e. E.4.2) show the WW_NN
with NAA=1.

Thanks,
// Bill Weber               Phone: +1-610-648-7022
// Unisys Corporation       Fax:   +1-610-648-4010
// 2476 Swedesford Rd.      mailto:[email-masked]
// Malvern, PA 19355-9700

---

From: "Infante, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:13:02 -0800

Bill,

My understanding is that only the World Wide Port Name requires NAA = 1.
It is not a requirement for the World Wide Node Name to have NAA = 1;

Jon Infante
Emulex