Subject: [ipfix-arch] Clarification on Arch document, section 7.4

From: "Reinaldo Penno"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:09:53 -0800

a) "3. For long aging flows, the exporter SHOULD export the flow records on
regular basis, in order to:"

I think it should say "...the exporter SHOULD be able to export the flow..."

b) then..

   "a.  report the flow records periodic accounting information to the
collector
    b.  avoid counter wrapping This activity timeout SHOULD be configurable"

It should be

"a. provide periodic accounting information to the collector
b. avoid counter wrapping."

This activity SHOULD be configurable. Btw, can someone elaborate on the
counter wrapping stuff?

c) then..

"4. If the exporter experiences resources constraints, a flow MAY be
prematurely expired (example: memory)"

Is there any other choice? This seems too implementation specific.

regards,

Reinaldo

---

From: "Norseth, KC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:41:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Reinaldo Penno [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 12:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipfix-arch] Clarification on Arch document, section 7.4

b) then.. 

It should be 

It is very simple to send so much data though the line on a flow that the
byte counter rolls over.  This is very typical in 1 gig and 10g  ports.
counter 32 is not large enough field size for this.

c) then.. 

regards, 

Reinaldo