Subject: [ipfix] Terminology suggestion

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:08:05 +0100

Hi all,

Here is my suggestion for the IPFIX terminology.
Maybe some more terms need to be defined, including
'flow rule',

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek     [email-masked]     Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,    Network Laboratories     Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Adenauerplatz 6, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.ccrle.nec.de

2.1.   IP Traffic Flow or Flow

see draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt, section 1.1

2.2.   Observation Point
The observation point is a location in the network where IP packets
can be observed.  Examples are a line to which a probe is attached,
a shared medium, such as an Ethernet-based LAN,  a port of a router,
or an entire router with several ports.

2.3.   Trafic Flow Meter or Meter
A  meter observes packets at one or more obsrvation points.
It analyzes the content of the packets and maps them to flows.
For each observed flow the meter computes statistics and maintains
a flow record where it stores relevant flow infromation.

2.4.   Metering Process
The metering process includes all actions performed by a meter
with respect to observing packets, timestamping them, analyzing them,
mapping them to flows, computing flow statistics, detecting flow
expiration, and maintaining flow records.

2.5.   Flow Record
A flow record keeps information a flow including characteristic
properties of the flow, for example the source IP address,
and measured properties of the flow, for example the total number
of bytes of all packets of the flow.

2.6.   Flow Information Exporter or Exporter
The exporter sends flow records created and maintained by one or
more meters to one or more data collectors.

2.7.  Flow Information Data Collector or Data Colletor
The data collector receives flow records from one or more exporters.
The data collector might process or store received flow record,
but these actions are out of the scope of this document.

2.8.   Flow Information Export
Flow information export denotes the process of transferring flow
records from an exporter to a data collector.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/