Subject: [ipfix-req] Terminology

From: "K.C. Norseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:06:46 -0700

As per the conversations on the terminology sections of the drafts, I have
removed these to see if they can be incorporated into the requirements
draft.  I can put them back if you think they should be back.

K.C.

1. Terminology

Flow Information Exporter or Exporter

The exporter sends flow records created and maintained by one or more meters
to one or more data collectors.

Flow Information Data Collector or Data Collector

The data collector receives flow records from one or more exporters. The
data collector might process or store received flow record, but these
actions are out of the scope of this document.

Flow Information Export

Flow information export denotes the process of transferring flow records
from an exporter to a data collector.

Flow Record

A flow record keeps information a flow including characteristic properties
of the flow, for example the source IP address, and measured properties of
the flow, for example the total number of bytes of all packets of the flow.

Information Element (IE)

IPFIX Session

 An IPFIX Session is a logical connection between an exporter  entity and
one or multiple collector entity for the purpose of  exporting IP flow
information. Multiple sessions MAY be maintained concurrently in an
exporting device.

IP Traffic Flow or Flow

see draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt, section 1.1

Metering Process

The metering process includes all actions performed by a meter with respect
to observing packets, timestamping them, analyzing them, mapping them to
flows, computing flow statistics, detecting flow expiration, and maintaining
flow records.

Observation Point

The observation point is a location in the network where IP packets can be
observed.  Examples are a line to which a probe is attached, a shared
medium, such as an Ethernet-based LAN,  a port of a router, or an entire
router with several ports.

Template

A Template defines the structure of any types of IP flow  information
record, and specifies the data type, meaning, and location of the fields in
the record.

Traffic Flow Meter or Meter

A  meter observes packets at one or more observation points. It analyzes the
content of the packets and maps them to flows. For each observed flow the
meter computes statistics and maintains a flow record where it stores
relevant flow information.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/