Subject: Why we are doing this (was RE: [ipfix] Mailing list digest, Frida y 8 March)

From: "Norseth, KC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:58:39 -0500

|-----Original Message-----
|From: Peram Marimuthu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
|Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 1:56 PM
|To: [email-masked]
|Cc: 'Michael MacFaden'; [email-masked]
|Subject: Re: [ipfix] Mailing list digest, Friday 8 March
|
<SNIP>
|
|Well said. However some people are out of touch with reality 
|and are mandating things that will never get implemented. 
|There will be so many non-compliant implementations, but who cares

We do care!  That was the purpose of forming this WG, that we provide a
common protocol that people can follow.  Since a non-compliant
implementation would not work with the industry, people will not want to
implement a non-compliant one.

With that said, we want this protocol to be well defined and implementable.
No one wants to have something that they have to reverse engineer to verify
that they are complaint with a de-facto standard.  

Any of the current protocols being looked at could do the job for IPFIX, it
is a matter of which one would do the best, be implementable, and has the
concensus of the industry.

My two cents worth.

K.C.