Subject: [ipfix-eval] IPFIX Evaluation

From: "Mike Norris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:47:09 -0700

I have been following with interest your discussions regarding protocol
evaluations and thought it may be useful to provide you with an industry
perspective from a major ISP.  I work for the second largest Canadian
integrated service provider offering national voice telephony, wireless and
internet capabilities.

Managing the various interfaces within our company is a complex and costly
exercise.  From our perspective we see IPDR as a key solution to our
internal interface challenges as we move towards more integrated network,
mediation, and billing capabilities.  As more groups such as Cable Labs and
IPFIX adopt NDM-U, our net cost savings rise geometrically.

We would be able to truly get "plug and play" solutions that won't tie us to
any one vendor's proprietary specifications if they maintained compliance.
Each of our vendors have responded that they are certified compliant or are
at least somewhat compliant with IPDR.  Having dealt with many forms of
proprietary formats from switching manufacturers I endorse the adoption of
an open, proven standard as the right approach.  Everyone benefits!

We are actively working on IPDR implementation for various segments of our
business and I'm pleased that IPFIX is also considering IPDR as a means of
exchange.

Mike Norris

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/