Subject: [ipfix-eval] Industry Perspective Regarding IPFIX Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:01:48 -0600

Sir/Madam:

Verilink is a leading provider of business-to-business broadband access
solutions.  We recently had the opportunity integrate CRANE client software
into a number of our WANsuite access devices.  Implementation of the CRANE
client on our devices required a relatively small footprint. The
integration
required minimal development effort to integrate within the device and
between the access devices and the CRANE server (the data collection
point).

This opportunity came to us as one of our larger carrier customers had
selected the CRANE server firmware for use in its network and service
offerings.  The CRANE solution certainly seems to meet that carrier's needs
and requirements quite satisfactorily.

We appreciated the fact that the protocol offered reliability and
scalability while working over a wide area network that is potentially
subject to discontinuity.

I understand that as part of your evaluation you are considering the CRANE
protocol and perhaps this information may shed some light as to the
maturity
of this protocol and the ease with which it can be implemented.

Regards,

David Scarlett
Product Manager
Verilink Corporation

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy,
retransmit,disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please
indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error,
and delete the copy you received. Thank you.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: "Alistair Munro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:09:01 -0000

Dear IPFIX-EVALers,

Degree2 Innovations develops QoS solutions for packet networks which we
market to enterprise users or license to vendors of IADs (or similar
middlebox/access router devices). Our customers have expressed a strong
requirement for billing based on delivered QoS against agreed SLAs. They
also need to understand the traffic mixes flowing across their LAN/WAN
boundaries as the first step in enforcing the SLAs and related policies.
For our own purposes, we sought a protocol that would be implementable
on both low-end and high-end devices, with a high degree of flexibility
on the information to be collected, and reliability (of the collection
process as well as the transport protocol).

We selected CRANE as the protocol to communicate the individual IP flow
and aggregated (metered) data between exporter and collector. 

We have implemented, independently of XACCT, our own exporter and
collector processes. We intend to do interoperability testing with XACCT
some time early next year. On the basis of recently published interim
evaluation documents, (drafts from Gopal and Leinen), it appears to be a
good fit to IPFIX requirements.

We encourage the IPFIX group to adopt CRANE as its preferred protocol.

Best regards,

Alistair Munro

--
Dr. Alistair Munro,
Chief Systems Engineer, Degree2 Innovations Ltd.
Regus House, 1 Friary, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6EA, U.K.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: (work) +44-117-900-8114, (home) +44-1275-462707, (mobile)
+44-7974-922-442;
Fax: +44-117-900-8151
Web: http://www.u4eagroup.com