Subject: [ipfix] Default IPFIX transport: time for discussion!

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:52:12 +1200

Hello all:

About a month ago I posted a list of issues I want to see some IPFIX
consensus on.  There were one or two responses (thanks to the people
who posted those), but no real discussion.  Now that everyone is back
from summer holidays, let's get back to work on IPFIX - I'd like to
see revisions of all the drafts this month, so that we can produce
near-complete versions by the late-October deadline for IETF 58.

So ... I think we need to decide on a default (MUST implement) transport 
protocol for IPFIX, so as to guarantee interoperability.  The question
is, which one?  The candidates available now are SCTP and TCP, others
could emerge in the next few years.  The Protocol draft has sections
spelling out how IPFIX could be implemented using SCTP, with technical
arguments for that.  

First, would someone please send in some text spelling out how IPFIX
could be implemented using TCP, along with the technical arguments
for that.  We need that to fill in the blanks in the draft!

Second, I realise that it will be hard to choose between them, but lets 
at least start be trying to set out the technology reasons for each  one.

Notice that having a default protocol doesn't mean that implementors
would only use that one.  Any vendor who felt that the non-default protocol
provided performance advantages to its users would of course be free to
implement both and encourage users to pick the one which best suited
their user network environment.

Last, if you think that we need only specify a list of IPFIX protocols,
lets hear your argument supporting that view.

Cheers, Nevil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                   Director, Technology Development
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941     ITSS, The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland
http://www.auckland.ac.nz/

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/