Subject: [ipfix-protocol] New version of ipfix protocol draft posted: draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-08.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:31:40 +0100

Dear all,

Here is the list of changes.

PROTO-23: Finalize the time details. The time-related Information 
Elements are not defined in [IPFIX-INFO]. We agree that the definition 
of timer semantics should be moved to the info model document (see the 
http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2588.html email thread). Now we need:
-    to insert some new text in the section 9 of this document
-    to insert the timing Information Element in [IFPIX-INFO]
Note: see http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2580.html for a way to 
improve the timing-related Information Elements.
SOLUTION: changed some text in the section 8.0

PROTO-30: review RFC 3917, to see if we miss any requirements
SOLUTION: will be part of last-call

PROTO-34: Need a security expert to review the security section:
- [TBD] in the security section
- [EDITOR NOTE: the security section may need be adapted to the revised 
transport section], [XXX-REFERENCE]
- [XXX-SCTP-BLIND-SPOOFING-REFERENCE] not defined
- TCP Security
1. Handshake: should we introduce a handshake sequence at the start of 
the connection? A simple ASCII-based handshake could be used to request 
TLS.
2. It would make sense to add TLS support even in the absence of a 
handshake. It would be the responsibility of the collector (connection 
initiator) to know whether TLS setup is required.
SOLUTION: the review by a security expert will be part of last-call

PROTO-38: [IPFIX-INFO] consistency issue:
- the ipfixOption, time, droppedFUPacketCount, droppedFUByteCount, 
droppedFlows, keyList, timeFirstFUDropped, timeLastFUDropped, 
droppedFAPacketCount, droppedFAByteCount, timeFirstFADropped, 
timeLastFADropped, and Exporter ID, Source ID Information Elements are 
not used in this document but not yet specified in [IPFIX-INFO].
- Review the Options Template example once the Source ID is defined as 
an information element (currently the ID 141 is used)
SOLUTION: waiting for [IPFIX-INFO]

PROTO-44: UDP, TCP, and SCTP ports XXXX should be replaced once assigned 
by IANA. Proposal: 4739
SOLUTION: the request has been registered to IANA. I added an EDITOR NOTE

PROTO-46: TCP section update, waiting text for Simon Leinen. See the 
thread starting with http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2569.html
SOLUTION: done with Simon. As a consequence, Simon is now listed as an 
author.

PROTO-48: Should the "sequence number" be improved to contains the 
number of flow records, like proposed in 
http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2587.html?
SOLUTION:
    - New sequence number definition included
    - the notion of "an alarm MUST be logged" in the section 13.3.7 UDP 
-> Collecting Process
    - the notion of IPFIX sequence number for UDP in section 13.3.2
    - the notion of IPFIX sequence number for TCP in section 13.4.2.1

So what's left? Editorial changes, waiting for [IPFIX-INFO].
 
   PROTO-38: [IPFIX-INFO] consistency issue:
          - the ipfixOption, time, droppedFUPacketCount,
          droppedFUByteCount, droppedFlows, keyList,
          timeFirstFUDropped, timeLastFUDropped, droppedFAPacketCount,
          droppedFAByteCount, timeFirstFADropped, timeLastFADropped,
          and Exporter ID, Source ID Information Elements are not used
          in this document but not yet specified in [IPFIX-INFO].
          - Review the Options Template example once the Source ID is
          defined as an information element (currently the ID 141 is
          used)
          - waiting for [IPFIX-INFO]. Small editorial changes
   PROTO-47: Some "EDITOR NOTE" in the draft.

Regards, Benoit.