Subject: [ipfix] ipfix

From: "Aligave, Heramba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:11:15 +0530

Hi,

 I am heramb working with Ethernet group in Intel.

I am working on IPFIX hardware implementation in our router.

We are thinking of implementing this feature as a single IPFIX device
with

a single observation point(I.e router), one metering and single
exporting.

After reading the RFC and the drafts, I had a few doubts about certain
points mentioned.

Shall appreciate your reply for these.

1)  Packet Sampling-

            IPFIX architecture mentions about packet count sampling to
be done

                                                before Filtering
function. 

                                                Doubt: 1) Is packet
sampling to be implemented as a static sampling or 

                                                we should have random
sampling?

                                                `2) Is the order of
execution important, i.e Sampling first followed by filtering.

                                    2) Multiple sampling, filtering: Is
it fine to implement just a single filtering and single sampling in the
metering process?

                                    3) Export Criteria- We have thought
of using Min/Max properties to trigger export as has been mentioned in

                                                the information model.

                                    4) Counters --        There is doubt
about how to implement MulticastOcetCount and Droppedpacketcount.

                                                i) DroppedInOctet
Counter: This requires packet received on a flow but dropped due to

                                                            Packet
treatment. Here packet treatment means functions like Ingress filter, L2
check?

                                                            Similarly,
for DroppedOutOctetCounter:What does drop mean in this context?

                                                            Do they mean
drops related to resource crunch(Discards) , Egress filtering?

                                                ii)MulticastOctet Count:
Kindly elaborate on the definition of this counter.

Regards,

heramb