Subject: [ipfix] new version of IPFIX per packet information

From: Elisa Boschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:08:17 +0100

Dear all,

we have submitted a new version of our draft: "export of per-packet 
information using IPFIX". The latest version can be found here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pohl-perpktinfo-02.txt

It has been improved taking into consideration the comments we have 
received so far and includes a section addressing the management of the 
"FlowIDs" we have introduced.

Since it describes an extension to the protocol aimed at providing a 
more efficient way to export packet information (without requiring any 
modification to IPFIX), we propose to merge our draft with the IPFIX 
protocol draft. (find our suggestion at the end of this email)
We would like to hear the opinion of the group about this. Since the 
export of per-packet information is a relevant issue for PSAMP, and all 
IPFIX doocuments are currently in last call, merging the current 
proposal with a PSAMP protocol draft is, to our opinion, a valide 
alternative.

In both cases the FlowID field should be added in the IPFIX information 
model (as a numeric identifier for the flow)

The IPFIX prootocol draft could be modified as follow:

> Table of Contents
>  
>      1. Points of Discussion.........................................4
>      2. Introduction.................................................5
>      3. Terminology..................................................6
>      4. Criteria for Flow Expiration and Export.....................12
>      5. Message Format..............................................13
>      6. IPFIX Message Format........................................15
>      7. Specific Reporting Requirements.............................26

One section could be added here describing the special case of export of 
packet information (the section could eventually be between 6 and 7 too.

>      8. "Export Time" Computation and Flow Record Time..............29
>      9. Linkage with the Information Model..........................31
>      10. Variable Length Information Element........................32
>      11. Template Management........................................33
>      12. The Collecting Process's Side..............................36
>      13. Transport Protocol.........................................38
>      14. Security Considerations....................................47
>      15. IANA Considerations........................................51
>      16. Examples...................................................52

Add here the example in the last section of our draft.

>      17. References.................................................58
>      18. Acknowledgments............................................6

Regards,
Elisa

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/