Subject: [ipfix-protocol] new version of the IPFIX protocol draft: draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-10.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:35:33 +0100

Dear all,

I just posted a new version of IPFIX protocol draft.
I've addressed all the remaining issues.

Here is the list of changes:
- list of typos from Nevil
- removed the flow expiration section, only kept in [IPFIX-ARCH]
- bytes -> octets
- During the last IETF week, we had a meeting where the format 
specification sections were improved:
    - Field Type is now Field Specifier
    - E bit for the enterprise bit
    - etc...
- Source ID definition improved (proposed by Juergen)

- IP address in example similar to IPFIX-ARCH, which is in accordance 
with RFC3330
- Flow Data Records and Option Data Record become Data Records

   +------------------+---------------------------------------------+
   |                  |                    Contents                 |
   |                  +--------------------+------------------------+
   |       Set        |       Template     |        Record          |
   +------------------+--------------------+------------------------+
   |   Data Set       |          /         |     Data Record(s)     |
   +------------------+--------------------+------------------------+
   |   Template Set   | Template Record(s) |           /            |
   +------------------+--------------------+------------------------+
   | Options Template | Options Template   |           /            |
   |       Set        |     Record(s)      |                        |
   +------------------+--------------------+------------------------+

- improved metering process definition as proposed by Brian Trammell
- a long list of improvement proposed by Sebastian Zander on the mailing 
list.
- added octetstring base type
- improved definition of dateTimeMicroSeconds
- "IPFIX Message Header "Export Time" and Flow Record Time" section 
re-written
    removed the condition: "SHOULD export delta time information 
elements in case of microsecond precision"
- UDP security changes
- And a long of editorial changes. The best way to look at the editorial 
differences is: http://ietf.levkowetz.com/drafts/ipfix/

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:38:17 +0100

Benoit,

thanks for the timely update to the protocol draft! I looked at the
side-by-side changes from -09, using the nice interface on
http://tools.ietf.org/drafts/ipfix/

Here is a context diff to the text that fixes a few minor issues
related to enterprise-specific Information Elements: one example had
two Enterprise bits as zero where they should have been one, and the
spelling of "enterprise-specific" wasn't always consistent.

Regards,
-- 
Simon.
Warning: missing newline at end of file /tmp/T0Meaygu
Warning: missing newline at end of file draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-10.txt
*** /tmp/T0Meaygu	Wed Mar 23 10:35:06 2005
--- draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-10.txt	Wed Mar 23 10:35:01 2005
***************
*** 881,893 ****
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |0| Information Element id. 2.1 |        Field Length 2.1       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
!       |0| Information Element id. 2.2 |        Field Length 2.2       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |                    Enterprise Number  2.2                     |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |             ...               |              ...              |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
!       |0| Information Element id. 2.M |        Field Length 2.M       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |                    Enterprise Number  2.M                     |        
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
--- 881,893 ----
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |0| Information Element id. 2.1 |        Field Length 2.1       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
!       |1| Information Element id. 2.2 |        Field Length 2.2       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |                    Enterprise Number  2.2                     |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |             ...               |              ...              |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
!       |1| Information Element id. 2.M |        Field Length 2.M       |   
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
        |                    Enterprise Number  2.M                     |        
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   
***************
*** 2660,2666 ****
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

!  13.4.3  Options Template Set using an Enterprise Specific scope 
     In this example, we want to export the same information as in the 
     example in section 15.4.1:  
        - Total number of IPFIX Messages: exportedPacketCount 
--- 2660,2666 ----
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

!  13.4.3  Options Template Set using an enterprise-specific scope 
     In this example, we want to export the same information as in the 
     example in section 15.4.1:  
        - Total number of IPFIX Messages: exportedPacketCount 
***************
*** 2699,2705 ****
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  

!  13.4.4  Options Template Set using an Enterprise Specific scope 
      
     In this example, we report the following two Data Records: 
     Line Card ID               | IPFIX Message  | Exported Flow Records 
--- 2699,2705 ----
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  

!  13.4.4  Options Template Set using an enterprise-specific scope 
      
     In this example, we report the following two Data Records: 
     Line Card ID               | IPFIX Message  | Exported Flow Records

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:47:21 +0100

Simon,

Good catch.
Corrected.

Regards, Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/