Subject: [ipfix-protocol] Review of the "7. Specific Reporting Requirements" and of the ipfixOption Information Element

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:57:30 +0100

Dear all,

While reviewing IPFIX-PROTO with Juergen Quittek and Thomas Dietz, 
we realized that we don't need the ipfixOption Information Element, 
as specified in the section "7. Specific Reporting Requirements".

A scope is already defined for all Option Templates:
 - The Metering Process Statistics Option Template
 - The Metering Process Reliability Statistics Option Template
 - The Exporting Process Reliability Statistics Option Template
 - The Flow Keys Option Template
As a consequence, we don't need the ipfixOption Element to specify the option template type.

Below is the new proposed text (see 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-08.txt for 
comparison)
- I simply removed the notion of ipfixOption in the introduction
- I moved the scope in the list of I.E, and replaced the ipfixOption
- The rest is unchanged

Note also that I clarified what the time is suppposed to be.

Regards, Benoit

=======================================

7. Specific Reporting Requirements 

  Some specific Options Templates and Options Templates Records are 
  necessary to provide extra information about the Flow Records and 
  about the Metering Process.
   
  The Option Template and Option Template Records defined in these 
  sub-sections are not mandatory to implement as they impose some 
  constraints about the Metering Process implementation: this document 
  specifies the protocol to export the records, not the Metering 
  Process implementation.  However, if the specific Option Templates 
  are implemented, they should ideally be implemented as specified in 
  these sub-sections.
        
  The minimum set of Information Elements is always specified in these 
  Specific IPFIX Options Templates.  Nevertheless, extra Information 
  Elements may be used in these specific Options Templates.     
   
7.1 The Metering Process Statistics Option Template 

  The Metering Process Statistics Option Template specifies the 
  Metering Process Statistics. It contains the following Information 
  Elements [IPFIX-INFO]:  
       sourceID                The Source ID. This Information
                               Element MUST be defined as a 
                               Scope Field Type 
       exportedOctetCount      The number of all octets reported  
                               by the Exporting Process to the 
                               Collecting Process. 
       exportedPacketCount     The number of all packets reported  
                               by the exporting process to the 
                               Collecting Process. 
       exportedFlowCount       The number of all flows records  
                               reported by the Exporting Process 
                               to the Collecting Process.  
       time                    One of the time-related Information
                               Elements in [IPFIX-INFO], depending
                               on the required time precision: 
                               TimeSeconds, MilliSeconds, 
                               MicroSeconds, or NanoSeconds
    
  The Exporting Process should export the Metering Process Statistics 
  Option Template Record on a regular basis or based on some export 
  policy.  This periodicity or export policy should be configurable. 
  The Metering Process Statistics Option Template could be extended 
  with other Information Elements. 

  Note that if several Metering Processes are available on the 
  Exporter Observation Domain, an extra Scope Field MeteringProcessID 
  must be added to this Option Template.
   
7.2 The Metering Process Reliability Statistics Option Template 
 
  The Metering Process Reliability Option Template specifies 
  information about lack of reliability in the Metering process.  It 
  contains the following Information Elements [IPFIX-INFO]: 
   
       sourceID                The Source ID. This Information
                               Element MUST be defined as a 
                               Scope Field Type 
       droppedFUPacketCount    Packets dropped by Metering Process 
       droppedFUOctetCount     Bytes dropped by Metering Process  
       timeFirstFUDropped      Time of the first packet dropped at the  
                               Specified scope ID 
       timeLastFUDropped       Time of the last packet dropped at the  
                               Specified scope ID 
       time                    One of the time-related Information
                               Elements in [IPFIX-INFO], depending
                               on the required time precision: 
                               TimeSeconds, MilliSeconds, 
                               MicroSeconds, or NanoSeconds
   
  The Exporting Process should export the Metering Process Reliability 
  Statistics Option Template Record on a regular basis or based on 
  some export policy.  This periodicity or export policy should be 
  configurable. The Metering Process Reliability Statistics Option 
  Template could be extended with other Information Elements. 

  Note that if several Metering Processes are available on the 
  Exporter Observation Domain, an extra Scope Field MeteringProcessID 
  must be added to this Option Template.
   
7.3 The Exporting Process Reliability Statistics Option Template 
 
  The Exporting Process Reliability Option Template specifies 
  information about lack of reliability in the Exporting process.  It 
  contains the following Information Elements [IPFIX-INFO]: 
   
       exporterID              Either the exporterIPv4Address or 
                               exporterIPv6Address [IPFIX-INFO]. This 
                               Information Element MUST be defined 
                               as a Scope Field Type 
       droppedFlows            Number of flow records not exported  
                               (due to resources starvation at  
                               Exporting Process or due to some 
                               flow records export policies) 
       droppedFAPacketCount    Packets in the dropped flows 
       droppedFAByteCount      Bytes in the dropped flows 
       timeFirstFADropped      Time of the first packet within the  
                               dropped flows 
       timeLastFADropped       Time of the last packet within the  
                               dropped flows 
       time                    One of the time-related Information
                               Elements in [IPFIX-INFO], depending
                               on the required time precision: 
                               TimeSeconds, MilliSeconds, 
                               MicroSeconds, or NanoSeconds
   
  The Exporting Process should export the Exporting Process 
  Reliability Statistics Option Template Record on a regular basis or 
  based on some export policy.  This periodicity or export policy 
  should be configurable. The Exporting Process Reliability Statistics 
  Option Template could be extended with other Information Elements. 

  Note that if several Exporting Processes are available on the 
  Exporter Observation Domain, an extra Scope Field exportingProcessID 
  must be added to this Option Template.
   
7.4 The Flow Keys Option Template 
   
  The Flow Keys Option Template specifies the flow keys used by the 
  Metering Process for the Template ID definition. It contains the 
  following Information Elements [IPFIX-INFO]: 

       templateID              The Template ID. This Information 
                               Element MUST be defined as a Scope
                               Field Type 
       keyList                 Bitmap with the positions of the flow  
                               keys in the template 
       time                    One of the time-related Information
                               Elements in [IPFIX-INFO], depending
                               on the required time precision: 
                               TimeSeconds, MilliSeconds, 
                               MicroSeconds, or NanoSeconds

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/