Subject: [ipfix-protocol] new version of the IPFIX protocol draft: draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-11.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:03:53 +0200

Dear all,

I just posted a new version of IPFIX protocol draft.
I've addressed all the remaining issues.

- "Should  there be any apparent discrepancy in definitions between 
these two documents, the definitions defined in this document take 
precedence." removed
- "The scope is an Information Element specified in the IPFIX 
Information Model [IPFIX-INFO]." added.
- Section "IPFIX Message Header "Export Time" and Flow Record Time" 
rewritten
- "0000 UTC Jan 1st 1970" now specifies the day
-  "Following a configuration change that can modify the interpretation 
of the Data Records (for example, a sampling rate change) a new Template 
ID MUST be used and the old Template ID MUST NOT be reused until its 
lifetime (see section 10.3.7) has expired. "
- "Collecting Process**" section improved wrt to the lifetime.
- "Multiple TCP connections MAY be used to avoid head-of-line between 
different Observation Domains."

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Lutz Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:50:38 +0200

Hi Benoit,

thank you for you the new draft and you effort even at the weekend.

 > 3.1      Message Header Format
 > ...
 > Export Time
 >  Time in seconds since 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1970, at which the
 >  IPFIX Message Header leaves the Exporter.

what about changing the definition to:

! Export Time
!  Time in seconds since 0000 UTC Jan 1st 1970, at which the
!  IPFIX Message Header leaves the Exporter modulo 2^32.

So one can use this protocol after 2038.

Regards,
Lutz

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:01:26 +0200

Hi Mark,

> So one can use this protocol after 2038.

One of the drawback I see with your mechanism is that some routers (let 
me speak for the Cisco ones) will have a default time starting at 0000 
UTC Jan 1st 1970 if the clock is not set up. So if you receive a flow 
record just after 2038, you can't conclude much about the time unless 
you are sure that the clock is set up.

Anyway, don't we have enough time before 2038 for a new version, if 
IPFIX gets some adoption (which I'm sure of )...

Regards, Benoit.