Subject: [ipfix-protocol] 9. The Collecting Process's Side

From: Lutz Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:22:10 +0200

>   The Collecting Process MUST verify that only one Source ID value is
 >   used inside each stream. If the Collecting Process detects that more
 >   than one Source ID has been received within a stream, it MUST
 >   discard the IPFIX Message, reset the SCTP association, and SHOULD
 >   log the error.

this does not map with the behaviour of using IPFIX over TCP.
With TCP it is possible to export data of multiple observation
domains using only one connection.

Is there a motivation for this restriction that
also applies to TCP?

What about removing this restriction for SCTP?

Regards,
Lutz

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 17:07:30 +0200

Lutz,

> What about removing this restriction for SCTP?

As far as I recall, this was specify initially to get some fairness 
across multiple source ID sending template records from a single 
exporting process (a distributed platform). However, after thinking 
about it with Stewart Bryant, we think this is an implementation choice.
So we're fine with the removal of this restriction.
Then "The Exporting Process MUST NOT transmit IPFIX Messages with more 
than one Source ID value inside any single stream." in section 8 should 
also go away.

Regards, Benoit.