Subject: [ipfix-protocol] Source ID 0?

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:51:26 +0200

Dear all,

Question: which source ID to put in the IPFIX Message Header when we 
export the "The Exporting Process Reliability Statistics Option 
Template" (section 4.3)?
Question: which source ID to put in the IPFIX Message Header when we 
export from a Collecting Process aggregated data records to another 
application (hierarchy of Collecting Process)?
Question: which source ID to put in the IPFIX Message Header when we 
export the"The Metering Process Statistics Option Template" (section 
4.1) and "The Metering Process Reliability Statistics Option Template" 
(section 4.2)? Those 2 specific option template already contain the 
source ID as scope. So we might have an IPFIX Message containing a 
Source ID X in its header, a data record with Source ID X as scope and a 
second Source ID Y as scope. This situation might confuse the collector.

The idea: let's use the source ID zero.

I would propose:
1. To remove the Source ID zero restrictions: "The Source ID MUST NOT be 
0" and "IPFIX Messages with a Source ID of zero MUST be discarded by the 
Collecting Process. "
2. To add the following text in section 3.1, next to the Source ID 
definition
"The Source ID SHOULD be 0 when no specific Source ID is relevant for 
the entire IPFIX Message. For example, when exporting the Exporting 
Process Statistics, or in case of hierarchy of Collector when aggregated 
data records are exported. The Source ID MUST be zero when the IPFIX 
Message contains data records with different Source ID values defined as 
scopes.

Note: this proposal is inline with Lutz Mark's proposal 
http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2780.html

Any feedback or objections?

Regards, Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/