Subject: [ipfix-info] new version of IPFIX info model

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:40:05 +0200

Dear all,

I just posted a new version of the IPFIX info model.

The changes reflect the discussion on this list in the last weeks.
Beyond this, there is one further change.

The issue was raised by Paul Aitken.  It concerns and additional
Information Element for padding of Flow Records.  The following text
from the new version of the info model motivates and specifies the
new element:

5.11  Padding

   This section contains a single Information Element only, that can be
   used for padding of Flow Records.

   IPFIX Implementations may wish to pad Flow Records such that all of
   them are aligned inside an IPFIX message to 4 octet boundaries or to
   8 octet boundaries.  This can be achieved by including a sufficient
   number of padding Information Elements in the Flow Record.

   Flow Record padding can be particularly useful if very short Flow
   Records are used.  The IPFIX protocol requests that IPFIX Message
   padding at the end of an IPFIX Message must be shorter than the
   shortest Flow Record in the IPFIX Message.  If there is a Flow Record
   with a length of just 1, 2 or 3 octets, then IPFIX Message padding to
   a 4 octet boundary is not always possible.

   If however, padding of the IPFIX Message is desired in combination
   with very short Flow Records, then the padding Information Element
   can be used for padding Flow Records such that their length is
   increased to 4 or 8 octets.

   +-----+---------------------------+-----+---------------------------+
   |  ID | Name                      |  ID | Name                      |
   +-----+---------------------------+-----+---------------------------+
   | 210 | paddingOneOctet           |     |                           |
   +-----+---------------------------+-----+---------------------------+

5.11.1  paddingOneOctet

   Description:
      The value of this Information Element is always 0.
   Abstract Data Type: octet
   ElementId: 210
   Status: current

Please comment if you see any problem with this change.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:10:59 +1200

> Please comment if you see any problem with this change.

Seems sensible and useful to me, I don't see any problems with it.

Cheers, Nevil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                 Computer Science Department | ITSS
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941           The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland
http://www.auckland.ac.nz/