Subject: [ipfix-info] octetDeltaCount and postOctetDeltaCount Element ID

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:35:46 +0200

Dear all,

While looking at the differences between the IPFIX-INFO version 7 and 8, 
I see that
IFPIX-INFO version 7 contains:
    octetDeltaCount is ElementID 1
    postOctetDeltaCount is ElementID 23
IFPIX-INFO version 8 contains:
    ElementID 1 and 23 are reserved
    octetDeltaCount is ElementID 204
    postOctetDeltaCount is ElementID 205

Maybe I missed the justification of this change. However, to be inline 
with what has been implemented for a long time with NetFlow version 9, 
octetDeltaCount and postOctetDeltaCount should be respectively ElementID 
1 and 23

Regards, Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:24:24 +0200

We just realized that we have the same issue with the I.E. 85 in 
IPFIX-INFO version 7 and I.E. 206 in IPFIX-INFO version 8.

Regards, Benoit.

> Dear all,
>
> While looking at the differences between the IPFIX-INFO version 7 and 
> 8, I see that
> octetDeltaCount and postOctetDeltaCount should be respectively 
> ElementID 1 and 23
>
> Regards, Benoit.
>
> --

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:27:54 +0200

Benoit,

Also octetTotalCount was moved from #85 to #206.
I moved the IDs of these three Information Elements after we agreed not to
include MPLS labels in the octet count of flows.  During the discussion on
this issue, I assumed that NetFlow v9 includes MPLS labels.  Consequently,
I declared the IDs of the three elements to be RESERVED and then assigned
new IDs to them.

Today I learned that NetFlow has an option to switch on and off counting
MLPS headers in addition to the IP packet sizes.  So, we could have kept
the original identifiers.  I suggest that we change them back after we
received feedback from the IESG that requires a new version anyway.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de