Subject: [ipfix] Does IPFIX = Netflow V9?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:10:45 -0500

After taking a quick look at IPFIX and Netflow V9 they look identical.

Are they the same thing? 

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:55:29 +0000

Jo,

> After taking a quick look at IPFIX and Netflow V9 they look identical.

They're similar, but not the same. IPFIX was based on netflow v9 with a 
number of important improvements.

For some background, see the IETF IPFIX Working Group charter: 
http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu

And the "Evaluation of Candidate Protocols for IP Flow Information 
Export (IPFIX)": ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3955.txt

I'm not sure whether anyone has a publically available list of all the 
differences.

Cheers.
-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:21:43 -0500

Quoting Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>:
Thanks for the reply Paul.

To Everyone else:

Does anyone have a list of the "important improvements" to Netflow V9? 
Does anyone hava a list of devices that currently support IPFIX?

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:08:04 +1300

Quoting [email-masked]:

--- <snip> ---

> Does anyone have a list of the "important improvements" to Netflow V9?

They start with 
 * SCTP as 'must implement protocol,' TCP and UDP as alternatives
 * Information model uses an XML schema
 * Ability for implementors to extend the schema by adding 
      implementer-specific information elements
 * Many more information elements than were in (the original)
      NetFlow v9

> Does anyone hava a list of devices that currently support IPFIX?

I'd be interested in knowing more about that too ...

Meanwhile, the WG organised an interop event just before the Paris IETF,
have a look at http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/IETF63/minutes.txt

> > Jo,

Cheers, Nevil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                 Computer Science Department | ITSS
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941           The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland
http://www.auckland.ac.nz/