Subject: Re: [ipfix] spelling/editorial change to time data types

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:26 +0100

Brian,
> All,
>
> May be a bit late for this, and may also be a bit pedantic, but I'd 
> like to advocate correcting the spelling of the data type names:
>
>        3.1.11. dateTimeMilliSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12
>        3.1.12. dateTimeMicroSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12
>        3.1.13. dateTimeNanoSeconds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12
>
> and their associated information elements:
>
>        5.8.3.  flowStartMilliSeconds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  58
>        5.8.4.  flowEndMilliSeconds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  58
>        5.8.5.  flowStartMicroSeconds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  58
>        5.8.6.  flowEndMicroSeconds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  58
>        5.8.7.  flowStartNanoSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  58
>        5.8.8.  flowEndNanoSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  59
>        5.8.9.  flowStartDeltaMicroSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  59
>        5.8.10. flowEndDeltaMicroSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  59
>        5.8.11. systemInitTimeMilliSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  59
>        5.10.4. flowDurationMilliSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  67
>        5.10.5. flowDurationMicroSeconds  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  68
>
> in IPFIX-INFO 11 and normative references thereto in IPFIX-PROTO 17:
>
>      6.1.7   dateTimeMilliSeconds.....................................30
>      6.1.8   dateTimeNanoSeconds......................................30
>      6.1.9   dateTimeMicroSeconds.....................................30
>
> Addition of an SI prefix does not cause a word break, as implied by 
> the interCap spelling of these identifiers. Suggested correction is to 
> make the "s" in seconds lower-case. This change would of course not 
> apply to dateTimeSeconds, as there _is_ a word break before "Seconds" 
> in that case.
>
> (Incidentially, I discovered this problem while testing our 
> implementation, attempting to find the flowStartMilliseconds (properly 
> spelled) IE in our IE registry, which caused a runtime error. Other 
> implementors and users of IPFIX may also run into the same problem in 
> the future, hence this suggestion.)
>
> Also, there are references to flowStartDeltaUseconds and 
> flowEndDeltaUseconds in PROTO 19; these should be changed to 
> "DeltaMicroseconds".

Good catch!
As there were no positive reaction from this community to change the "S" 
of seconds to lower case, I changed [IPFIX-PROTO] to 
flowStartDeltaMicroSeconds and flowEndDeltaMicroSeconds... to be 
consistent with [IPFIX-INFO].

Regards, Benoit.
> Regards,
> Brian