Subject: [ipfix-info] IPFIX-INFO: TemplateID description

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:45:05 +0200

Dear all,

[IPFIX-INFO] currently specificies:
5.1.9.  templateId

   Description:
      An identifier of a Template that is locally unique to an Exporting
      Process.  Typically, this Information Element is used for limiting
      the scope of other Information Elements.
   Abstract Data Type: unsigned16
   Data Type Semantics: identifier
   ElementId: 145

But [IPFIX-PROTO] specifies:
   A Template ID MUST be unique per Observation Domain. 

So I would say that the new templateId description is:

   Status: current Description:
      An identifier of a Template that is locally unique to an Observation
      Domain.  Typically, this Information Element is used for limiting
      the scope of other Information Elements.

Regards, Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:03:25 -0400

Agreed.

On this subject, I would still suggest that Observation Domain  
identifiers be defined as unique within a Session, as opposed to per  
Exporting Process (otherwise, we run into lifetime issues on  
observationDomainId; as this is the "root" of all other scopes we  
should avoid this if at all possible). If there is WG interest in  
doing things this way, I'd be happy to generate the necessary  
language...

Regards,

Brian

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:24:02 +0200

Brian,
> doing things this way, I'd be happy to generate the necessary language...
See my email "[ipfix-protocol] Observation Domain ID uniqueness" on the 
topic.

Regards, Benoit.