Subject: [ipfix] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt]

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:47:25 +0200

Hello,

I submitted a -00 draft on IPFIX device configuration based on XML:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt

As I understand, IPFIX configuration is currently not a working group
topic, but maybe also other people in the IPFIX community consider this
as an important topic that is worth being discussed.

The proposed new charter includes work on an IPFIX MIB for reporting
information and statistics, but not for configuration. It seems that the
general trend in network management goes towards XML-based description
of configuration data, independently from the ongoing discussion on the
best transport protocol (Netconf, SOAP or whatever). One opinion that I
heard at NOMS2006 was that having a common configuration data model is
more important than having a common protocol. According to this, the
data model presented in this draft is not specific to any protocol.

The draft is a refinement of work accomplished in the European project
Diadem Firewall where we decided to use the Netconf protocol for
configuring monitoring probes. This approach was also presented in a
poster at NOMS2006:
http://net.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/fileadmin/RI/members/muenz/documents/using-netconf-short.pdf

Best regards,
Gerhard

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: IPFIX Configuration Data Model
	Author(s)	: G. Muenz
	Filename	: draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2006-6-20
	
   This document proposes a configuration data model for IP Flow
   Information Export (IPFIX) Devices based on Extensible Markup
   Language (XML).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
i-d-announce-request at ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the body
of the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	mailserv at ietf.org.
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-muenz-ipfix-configuration-00.txt>

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
I-D-Announce at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/