Subject: [ipfix] MIME-Version: 1.0

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:37:36 +1200

Hi all:

Here are the minutes of yesterday's IPFIX meeting.  If you spot anything
that needs correction, please email me so that I can correct it.

Cheers, Nevil

DRAFT Minutes of the IP Flow Information eXport (IPFIX) WG
66th IETF, Montreal, Tuesday, 11 June 06

submitted by Nevil Brownlee and Juergen Quittek (co-chairs) based on
notes from Cyndi Mills

The text messaging log is available here:
   http://www.ietf.org/meetings/ietf-logs/ipfix/2006-07-11.html

The meeting agenda and slides are available on the IETF66

'Session Agendas and Presentations' web page.

----

IPFIX's new charter was approved by IESG late in June, with Nevil 
Brownlee and Juergen Quittek as its co-chairs.  Juergen
opened the meeting by thanking Dave Plonka for the five years work
he has done as co-chair of IPFIX.

----

IPFIX Drafts Status

Nevil Brownlee reported that all four of the IPFIX drafts had
completed IETF Last Call.  The editors of the Applicability Statement
(AS) and Information Model drafts are revising them in response to the
comments received.  The Architecture and Protocol drafts have been
reviewed by IESG; Architecture will be revised in response to
comments, the Protocol draft has quite a few 'Discuss' issues as well
as many comments.

Benoit Claise presented the issues for the Protocol draft.  Most of
them concern transport, and will be addressed by adding more text to
explain when/how the various protocols should be used with IPFIX.  On
the question of how to handle 'out of sequence' errors, consensus was
that maintaining a counter and reporting periodically may be
sufficient.  More detailed logging recommendations will be documented
in the Implementation Guidelines

There are also security concerns; it was suggested since most of our
security concerns are the same as syslog's, we should consider
adopting their approach to security.  Their choices are TLS, Bleep or
IPsec; TLS has IPR issues, they expect to decide by 19 July.  In our
case, using TLS with PR-SCTP could depend on an as-yet-unfinished
draft.  Also, we are considering using port 4740 for TLS connections
(in addition to 4739 for ordinary connections).  The draft editors and
co-chairs will discuss the security issues with Sam Hartman and Cullen
Jennings for advice.

Tanja Zseby presented the AS draft.  She is working on a new revision
that will remove the 'more exotic' usage scenarios, and will provide
more guidance on how to use IPFIX for accounting (and the degree of
reliability it can require).

The editors of all four drafts will correspond by email with all the
IESG members who raised issues, so that we have a consistent set
of drafts ready for IESG as soon as possible.

----

Work items in the new charter

Juergen pointed out that the new charter has five work items, each of
which was prompted by existing work, and that we needed to formally
designate the various drafts as IPFIX work items, so that the authors
can publish new versions as IPFIX drafts.

Elisa Boschi presented the Implementation Guidelines draft.  This has
been revised recently, it needs one further revision.  It was accepted
as an IPFIX work item.

Elisa presented the Testing Guidelines draft; this is essentially
a specification for conformance tests of an IPFIX implementation.
A new revision should be ready in August.  It was accepted as an IPFIX
work item.

Elisa presented the Reducing Redundancy draft; this has recently been
revised, with considerable input from Benoit Claise.  The draft
explains how to use IPFIX effectively, and how to construct templates
so as to minimise the amount of redundant information being
exported. This is particularly important for exporting PSAMP (per
packet) data.  The draft was accepted as an IPFIX work item.

Since neither of the IPFIX MIB editors was presented, Juergen
presented the IPFIX MIB draft.  This has been developed from the PSAMP
and IPFIX Concentrator MIBs, and has two Modules, one for IPFIX
Exporters, the other for collectors.  It was accepted as an IPFIX work
item.

Brian Trammel presented the Bi-flows draft.  It discusses three ways
of implementing bi-directional flows in IPFIX, concluding that the
simplest way to do this is by defining a set of new, 'reverse'
Information Elements (IEs), e.g. counters for packets to/from the flow
destination (where 'destination' is decided by the Exporter's best
effort).  Since there are many IEs which have sensible 'reverse'
versions, we need a simple way to establish them.  The draft proposes
(as a fourth way to implement bi-flows) to use a vendor-specific set
of IEs, with one of its bits designated as the 'reverse' bit.
Attempts to export a non-implemented 'reverse' IE would be treated as
an error.  There was considerable discussion of this proposal, with
consensus that it was a promising proposal; the draft was accepted as
an an IPFIX work item.

----

Other Items

In the 20 minutes left of the session, Brian Trammel presented his
'IPFIX file format' draft, pointing out that it would be very useful
to have a standard way of recording IPFIX data.  In essence, the draft
treats 'file' as a fourth transport for the IPFIX protocol, producing
self-describing archive files.  This seems a very worthwhile project -
Brian was encouraged to continue its development and testing, so that
when some of the current work items have been completed, this draft
could become an IPFIX work item.

At that point, no time was left to discuss Gerhard Muenz's IPFIX
Configuration Data Model draft.

----

In closing the session, Nevil pointed out that our five new drafts
were well under way, therefore there was no need to revise the
Milestones as they are set out in our new (now current) charter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                 Computer Science Department | ITSS
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941           The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7453      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland http://www.auckland.ac.nz

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/