Subject: [IPFIX] IPFIX fragmentIdentification

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:16:04 +0100

IPFIX fragmentIdentification is defined as:

   The value of the Identification field in the IPv4 packet header or the
   IPv6 Fragment header, respectively. The value is 0 for IPv6 if there
   is no Fragment header.

So the IPv4 ID and IPv6 fragmentation ID are combined in a single field.

RFC 791 shows the IPv4 Identification is 16 bits:

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |Version|  IHL  |Type of Service|          Total Length         |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |         Identification        |Flags|      Fragment Offset    |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Whereas RFC 2460 shows the IPv6 ID is 32 bits:

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Next Header  |   Reserved    |      Fragment Offset    |Res|M|
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                         Identification                        |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

So if we're using this field for mixed IPv4/IPv6 traffic, we'd need to 
extend the IPv4 ID to 32 bits.

Seems that it would be more correct to have two different IDs for these?

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix