Subject: [IPFIX] when flow{Start,End}SysUpTime overflow

From: Hitoshi Irino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:09:17 +0900

Dear all,

I have a question about flow{Start,End}SysUpTime IEs.

flow{Start,End}SysUpTime can represent 49 days, 17 hour, 2 minutes, and
 47 seconds since (re-)initialization of IPFIX device, because abstract
data type of flow{Start,End}SysUpTime is unsigned32.
When exporter (ex. router) runs over 50 days, how can these IE represent
time stamp?

If these counter reset to 0 when these counter overflow, there is a
possibility that the collector confuses information of the 1st day and
information of 50th day.

If exporter can update systemInitTimeMilliseconds arbitrarily, it can
avoid this problem. But, systemInitTimeMilliseconds represent "The
absolute timestamp of the last (re-)initialization of the IFPIX Device",
therefore it seems that it is bad thing to update
systemInitTimeMilliseconds arbitrarily.

How should exporter export for a long time (over 50 days) that uses
flow{Start,End}SysUpTime?

-- 
NTT Network Service Systems Laboratories
 Broadband Network Systems Project
  Service Edge Group

   Hitoshi Irino

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix