Subject: [IPFIX] IPFIX MIB: 1/N packet sampling & selector table

From: "STEPHAN Emile RD-CORE-LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:45:34 +0100

Hi, 

IPFIX handling of Congestion and Reliability relies on packet sampling.
So at least one packet sampling (the most deployed:  1/N) must be
defined. This feature justifies the presence of
ipfixTransportSessionIndex in the INDEX clause of the Selector table:
Otherwise there is no relation between a selection function and an
exporter.

Regards.
Emile

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: "Thomas Dietz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:32:06 +0100

Dear Emile,
 
The problem here is that we neither in the protocol nor in the info model
define a packet sampling method. The architecture draft just says that there
may be some sort of filtering or sampling. But none of the other IPFIX
drafts specify any method. So on what basis should we specifiy objects for
packet sampling in the MIB?
 
Best Regards,
 
Thomas 

--
Thomas Dietz                       E-mail: [email-masked]
Network Laboratories               Phone:  +49 6221 4342-128
NEC Europe Ltd.                    Fax:    +49 6221 4342-155
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36
69115 Heidelberg, Germany          http://www.netlab.nec.de
<http://www.netlab.nec.de/> 

NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 2832014

  _____  

From: STEPHAN Emile RD-CORE-LAN [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPFIX] IPFIX MIB: 1/N packet sampling & selector table

Hi, 

IPFIX handling of Congestion and Reliability relies on packet sampling. So
at least one packet sampling (the most deployed:  1/N) must be defined. This
feature justifies the presence of ipfixTransportSessionIndex in the INDEX
clause of the Selector table: Otherwise there is no relation between a
selection function and an exporter.

Regards.

Emile

---

From: "Thomas Dietz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:32:06 +0100

Dear Emile,

Best Regards,
 
Thomas 

NEC Europe Limited

  _____  

Hi, 

Regards.

Emile