Subject: [IPFIX] Biflow draft PEN assignment

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:58:24 +0100

All,

Per a comment during yesterday's biflow draft presentation, requesting a
 private enterprise number for the reverse direction that has some
significance for us as a WG (as our own test implementation's
provisional reverse PEN of 100004739): we've inquired directly with IANA
about this today, and the answer is no.

As I'd said we suspected during the WG meeting, doing so would require a
change to IANA's process for assigning private enterprise numbers (and
indeed to the code they use for automating that process), so we'll get a
reverse private enterprise number in order, when the draft is officially
reviewed by IANA.

Regards,

Brian

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:50:04 +0000

Brian,

> reverse private enterprise number in order, when the draft is officially

Some options come to mind:

1. An obvious PEN isn't important. Just take whatever we're given and 
document it well.

2. An obvious PEN is important, so we need to submit multiple bogus 
applications to manipulate the allocation until we get one we like.

3. Using a PEN isn't the best solution.

Actually, since PEN zero is reserved, wouldn't it be a good choice? 
Because we're not really using this as a PEN as such, just as a marker.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:50:04 +0000

Brian,