Subject: [IPFIX] draft IPFIX charter update

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:05:52 +0200

Dear all,

Concluding our discussion of new IPIFX work items,
Nevil and I prepared a draft of a revision of our charter.

Please find it below and send us your comments.

Thanks,

    Juergen

Draft IPFIX Charter Update
==========================

IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/ipfix

Chair(s):
Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix/current/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The IPFIX working group has specified the Information Model (to
describe IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data
from IPFIX exporters to collectors).  Several implementers have
already built applications using the IPFIX protocol.  As a result
of a series of IPFIX interoperability testing events the WG has
produced guidelines for IPFIX implementation and testing as well as
recommendations for handling special cases such as bidirectional flow
reporting and reducing redundancy in flow records.

Practical experiences with IPFIX implementations exposed new
requirements for the IPFIX protocol that so far have not been addressed
by the WG.  The major current goal of the WG is developing solutions
that meet the new requirements without modifying the core IPFIX
protocol specifications.

1. The IPFIX WG has developed a MIB module for monitoring IPFIX
implementations.  Means for configuring these devices have not been
standardized yet. The WG will develop an XML-based configuration data
model that can be used for configuring IPFIX devices and for storing,
modifying and managing IPFIX configurations parameter sets.  This
work will be performed in close collaboration with the NETCONF WG.

2. There is a need for storing measured flow information and for exchanging
this information between different systems and organizations.  The WG
develop a common IPFIX file format for storing flow data  in order to
facilitating interoperability and reusability among a wide variety of
flow storage, processing, and analysis tools. It will be a flat-file
format using binary encodings that are based on the IPFIX message format.

3. When dealing with enterprise-specific information elements in IPFIX flow
records, it often occurs that the receiver of the record does not know
the definition of the information element.  For processing such information
elements it would be desirable for the receiver to know at least the data
types of the enterprise-specific information elements.  The WG will develop
an extension to IPFIX that provides means for the encoding of IPFIX data
type information within an IPFIX Message stream.

4. Another requirement resulting from practical use of IPFIX is reporting
IPFIX template records and data records within a single SCTP stream.
The IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for this use case.

5. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the need
for mediation of flow information, for example, for aggregating huge
amounts of flow data and for anomymization of flow information.  The IPFIX
WG will investigate this issue and produce a problem statement and a
framework for IPFIX flow mediation.

Goals and Milestones:
Done        Publish Internet Draft on IPFIX Testing
Done        Publish Internet Draft on IPFIX MIB
Nov 2007    Submit IPFIX Testing draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC
Nov 2007    Submit IPFIX MIB draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC

Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Configuration Data Model
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX File Format
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Type Information Export
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on Single SCTP Stream Reporting
Jan 2008    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Mediation Problem Statement
Jun 2008    Submit File Format draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Jun 2008    Submit Type Export draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Jun 2008    Submit Single SCTP Stream draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC
Oct 2008    Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Oct 2008    Submit Mediation Problem draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:37:29 +0200

Dear all,

> Jun 2008    Submit Type Export draft to IESG for publication

We had a controversial discussion on whether the type export would be
an essential or optional for the file format and whether it should be
informational or standards track.  As the file format is written now,
it requires type export and it makes sense to have both of them on
standards track.

However, as soon as the current individual drafts become WG documents,
the WG gets control on the content and will be free to change it.  If
there are arguments that convince the WG to apply changes, we will do so.

I hope that everybody can live with the way the charter proposal is phrased
right now having in mind that most of the documents listed are quite mature
already, but certainly not finalized, yet.

Thanks,

    Juergen

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:37:29 +0200

Dear all,

Thanks,

    Juergen

---

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:41:50 +0200

Dear Juergen, Benoit,

> The IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for this use case.

"reporting IPFIX template records and *corresponding* data records
within the *same* SCTP stream"

> Jun 2008    Submit Single SCTP Stream draft to IESG for publication

I do not know if "Single SCTP Stream Reporting" is an appropriate short
title for the document, yet I do not have a better alternative. The
current title of draft-claise-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-01 is "IPFIX
Export per SCTP Stream".

Regards,
Gerhard

---

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:41:50 +0200

Dear Juergen, Benoit,

Regards,
Gerhard

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:45:31 +0200

Hi Gerhard,
> within the *same* SCTP stream"
Agreed.
> current title of draft-claise-ipfix-export-per-sctp-stream-01 is "IPFIX
I understand the concern, and I'm open to any suggestions.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:45:31 +0200

Hi Gerhard,
Agreed.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: kobayashi atsushi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:43:11 +0900

Dear all,

I have submitted the problem statement draft about flow measurement in
large scale networks.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kobayashi-ipfix-large-ps-00.txt

Especially, it focuses on the problem of scalability parts, not general
flow mediation. As first step, we will be able to investigate these issues
and other general flow mediation issues by this draft. 

Your comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:05:52 +0200

> framework for IPFIX flow mediation.

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

---

From: kobayashi atsushi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:43:11 +0900

Dear all,

Best Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

---