Subject: [IPFIX] draft IPFIX charter update

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:05:52 +0200

Dear all,

Concluding our discussion of new IPIFX work items,
Nevil and I prepared a draft of a revision of our charter.

Please find it below and send us your comments.

Thanks,

    Juergen

Draft IPFIX Charter Update
==========================

IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/ipfix

Chair(s):
Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix/current/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The IPFIX working group has specified the Information Model (to
describe IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data
from IPFIX exporters to collectors).  Several implementers have
already built applications using the IPFIX protocol.  As a result
of a series of IPFIX interoperability testing events the WG has
produced guidelines for IPFIX implementation and testing as well as
recommendations for handling special cases such as bidirectional flow
reporting and reducing redundancy in flow records.

Practical experiences with IPFIX implementations exposed new
requirements for the IPFIX protocol that so far have not been addressed
by the WG.  The major current goal of the WG is developing solutions
that meet the new requirements without modifying the core IPFIX
protocol specifications.

1. The IPFIX WG has developed a MIB module for monitoring IPFIX
implementations.  Means for configuring these devices have not been
standardized yet. The WG will develop an XML-based configuration data
model that can be used for configuring IPFIX devices and for storing,
modifying and managing IPFIX configurations parameter sets.  This
work will be performed in close collaboration with the NETCONF WG.

2. There is a need for storing measured flow information and for exchanging
this information between different systems and organizations.  The WG
develop a common IPFIX file format for storing flow data  in order to
facilitating interoperability and reusability among a wide variety of
flow storage, processing, and analysis tools. It will be a flat-file
format using binary encodings that are based on the IPFIX message format.

3. When dealing with enterprise-specific information elements in IPFIX flow
records, it often occurs that the receiver of the record does not know
the definition of the information element.  For processing such information
elements it would be desirable for the receiver to know at least the data
types of the enterprise-specific information elements.  The WG will develop
an extension to IPFIX that provides means for the encoding of IPFIX data
type information within an IPFIX Message stream.

4. Another requirement resulting from practical use of IPFIX is reporting
IPFIX template records and data records within a single SCTP stream.
The IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for this use case.

5. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the need
for mediation of flow information, for example, for aggregating huge
amounts of flow data and for anomymization of flow information.  The IPFIX
WG will investigate this issue and produce a problem statement and a
framework for IPFIX flow mediation.

Goals and Milestones:
Done        Publish Internet Draft on IPFIX Testing
Done        Publish Internet Draft on IPFIX MIB
Nov 2007    Submit IPFIX Testing draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC
Nov 2007    Submit IPFIX MIB draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC

Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Configuration Data Model
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX File Format
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Type Information Export
Dec 2007    Publish Internet draft on Single SCTP Stream Reporting
Jan 2008    Publish Internet draft on IPFIX Mediation Problem Statement
Jun 2008    Submit File Format draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Jun 2008    Submit Type Export draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Jun 2008    Submit Single SCTP Stream draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC
Oct 2008    Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG for publication
            as Standards track RFC
Oct 2008    Submit Mediation Problem draft to IESG for publication
            as Informational RFC

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix