Subject: [IPFIX] multicast flow

From: kobayashi atsushi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:55:26 +0900

Dear all,

I have submited following draft.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kobayashi-ipfix-multicast-measure-00.txt

Now, multicast operation confronts several problems. There are not
enough tools. It is difficult that network operatos monitor the
multicast service condition. IPFIX/PSAMP must play a role for multicast
operation.

So, I have searched the past multicast flow discussion in IPFIX and
already published RFC3917.

RFC3917 say

5.7.  Multicast Flows

   For multicast flows containing packets replicated to multiple output
   interfaces, the metering process should be able to maintain discrete
   flow records per different output interface.  For example, the
   metering process should be able to report an incoming multicast
   packet that is replicated to four output interfaces in four different
   flow records that differ by the output interface.

After reading the past IPFIX-ML archive and IETF54's slide about multicast
flow, I see that collecting output interface indeses is hard in term of
several factors, router's architecture and non-fixed format.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix/current/msg01042.html
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/02jul/slides/ipfix-1/sld008.htm

But, I think that the above solution is burden on Collector and Exporter. 
If access router that has thousands of subscribers exports replicated
Flow Records, it seems to overload up both devices. 

To export output interface indexes, we can consider another solution,
such as option templates. Once more, let's start discussion about
multicast flow. 

Best Regards,
Atsushi KOBAYASHI

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix