Subject: Re: [IPFIX] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ipfix-testing-02

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:32:25 +0000

Christoph,

Thanks for reviewing the draft.

> Following Paul's invitation, here's my nitpicking:

> 3.1.1 par1) The first sentence seems to be missing a word somewhere

Fixed.

> 3.1.1 par2) Maybe add a short note that testing SCTP/TCP connectivity
> may safely be skipped when testing UDP export, as recommended in par
> 5

Clarified.

> 3.2.1 par3) Maybe it could be made clearer that this test only 
> mandates testing with the 20 defined abstract data types, not all 
> 150+ types defined. The Infomodel document uses the terminology 
> "abstract data types" so as to reduce confusion with IEs

Clarified.

> 3.3.3 par1) Why the restriction to export the IEs either (1) 
> consecutively or (2) with other IEs in between? There doesn't seem to
> be any other way than either 1 or 2. Should this be read as two 
> separate tests that both have to be performed?

Divided into two tests.

> 3.5.5, 3.5.6) These don't look like stress tests, but more like 
> connection tests, so they are a perfect fit for 3.1 (which currently
> only consists of 3.1.1)

In 3.1.1 we're only concerned with testing basic 1:1 connectivity before
we can get underway with anything else. None of the other tests are
possible without some basic connectivity.

Whereas in tests 3.5.5 and 3.5.6 we're concerned with testing 1:N and
N:1 connectivity to ensure that the Exporting Process is able to send
data to multiple collectors (if so designed) and that the Collecting
Process doesn't fail when multiple Exporting Processes are connected.

So I kept them in the stress test section.

> 3.6.4 d) For a stream-oriented (rather than message-oriented) 
> transport protocol, it might be hard to check if there is more data 
> than indicated available in a stream. This test might need to be 
> relaxed for TCP connections

That's a very good point, thanks. I've clarified this and indicated that 
some of the tests aren't applicable to TCP transport.

Please review the -03 draft to see whether you're happy with the changes.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:32:25 +0000

Christoph,

Fixed.

Clarified.

Clarified.

Divided into two tests.