Subject: [IPFIX] IPFIX-MIB: comments to AD review

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:38:50 +0100

Thomas, all,

Sorry for all these late comments. The reason is that I'm currently
aligning the MIB to the configuration data model.

I would like to add some comments to the AD/MIB doctor review. Possibly,
you already solved these issues.

> T24. I am wondering whether more counters in this MIB module need to be
> Counter64 rather than Counter32 - especially the bytes and packets
> counters

ipfixTransportSessionRecords is Counter64, so
ipfixMeteringProcessDataRecords should be the same?
(currently Counter32)

> T18. Unsigned32 seems to be a better SYNTAX than Integer32 (see RFC
> 4181) for the following objects: ipfixMeteringProcessId,
> ipfixObservationPointGroupReference, ipfixObservationPointIndex,
> ipfixTransportSessionRate

Same for ipfixObservationDomainId, ipfixTemplateId, ipfixTemplateSetId,
ipfixTemplateDefinitionIeId, ipfixTemplateDefinitionIeLength,
ipfixTemplateDefinitionEnterprise?

Regards,
Gerhard

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Münz
Chair for Network Architectures and Services (I8)
Department of Informatics
Technische Universität München
Boltzmannstr. 3, 85748 Garching bei München, Germany
Phone:  +49 89 289-18008       Fax: +49 89 289-18033
E-mail: [email-masked]    WWW: http://www.net.in.tum.de/~muenz

---

From: Gerhard Muenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:50:18 +0100

One more:

ipfixExportMemberType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                    unknown(0),
                    primary(1),
                    secondary(2),
                    parallel(3),
                    loadBalancing(4)
                }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type of a member Transport Session in a Transport
        Session group (identified by the value of ipfixExportIndex,
        ipfixObservationDomainId and ipfixMeteringProcessCacheId).
        The following values are valid:

        unknown(0)
            This value MUST be used if the status of the group
            membership cannot be detected by the equipment. This
            value should be avoided as far as possible.

        primary(1)
            This value is used for a group member that is used as
            the primary target of an Exporter. Other group members
            (with the same ipfixExportIndex and
            ipfixMeteringProcessCacheId) MUST NOT have the value
            primary(1) but MUST have the value secondary(2).
            This value MUST also be specified if the Exporter does
            not support Transport Session grouping.In this case the
            group contains only one Transport Session.

        secondary(2)
            This value is used for a group member that is used as a
            secondary target of an Exporter. The Exporter will use
            one of the targets specified as secondary(2) within the
            same Transport Session group when the primary target is
            not reachable.

        duplicate(3)
            This value is used for a group member that is used for
            duplicate exporting i.e., all group members identified
            by the ipfixExportIndex are exporting the same Records
            in parallel. This implies that all group members MUST
            have the the same membertype duplicate(3).

        loadBalancing(4)
            This value is used for a group member that is used as
            as one target for load-balancing. This means that a
            Record is sent to one of the group members in this
            group identified by ipfixExportIndex.
            This implies that all group members MUST have the same
            membertype load-balancing(4)."
    ::= { ipfixExportEntry 2 }

Do you prefer duplicate or parallel for value 3?