Subject: [IPFIX] draft-boschi-ipfix-anon-02

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:40:07 +0900

Dear Elisa, Brian and all,

This draft well categorizes anonymization techniques. It is very useful
of even those who are not familiar with this techniques.

In last meeting, we decided that mediation drafts should add the summary
of anonymization draft.

According to it, I put the anonymization summary in the IPFIX
Mediator problem statement draft, as follows.

Let me know your comments, if you have different idea.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-02#section-5.9

5.9.  IPFIX Export Across Domains

   IPFIX exports across administrative domains can be used to measure
   traffic for wide-area traffic engineering or to analyze Internet
   traffic trends.  In such cases, administrators need to adhere to
   privacy protection policies and prevent access to confidential
   traffic measurements by other people.  Typically, anonymization
   techniques enables the provision of traffic data to other people
   without violating these policies.

   Generally, anonymization modifies a data set to protect the identity
   of the people or entities described by the data set from being
   disclosed.  It also attempts to preserve sets of network traffic
   properties useful for a given analysis while ensuring the data cannot
   be traced back to the specific networks, hosts, or users generating
   the traffic.  For example, IP address anonymization is particularly
   important for avoiding the identification of the users, hosts, and
   routers in a network domain.  The details of these anonymization
   techniques are out of the scope of this document.

   Implementation analysis:

      One possible implementation for this case uses an anonymization
      function at the Original Exporter.  However, this increases the
      load of the Metering Process at the Original Exporter.  A more
      flexible implementation uses an IPFIX Masquerading Proxy between
      the Original Exporter and Collector.

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:34:00 +0100

Dear Kobayashi-san, all,

On first glance, this looks good. I might have a couple of edits, but  
I'd like to have a look over the whole document in San Francisco.

We'll have an updated revision of the anonymisation draft, with a few  
more details on the implementation of anonymisation export within  
IPFIX available shortly, but this new revision shouldn't have any  
impact on the interaction with the mediation draft at this time...

Kind regards,

Brian

On Mar 10, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Atsushi Kobayashi wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Atsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:36:31 +0900

Dear Brian,

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:34:00 +0100

> I'd like to have a look over the whole document in San Francisco.

Thank you. Your feedbacks welcome.

Atsushi KOBAYASHI

---