Subject: Re: [IPFIX] draft-ietf-ipfix-file-04, final reviews

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:03:42 +1200

Hi Brian:

I'd say submit it now.  If further changes do turn out to be needed,
we can always publish another.

Also, my colleague Russell Fulton agreed to review it for me, but
he's been away all this week at a family funeral.  However, his
immediate reaction to the question of "what about SSL-encrypted
IPFIX data?" was 'store it in clear, and use whatever file security
procedures are necessary in your environment."

Cheers, Nevil

Brian Trammell wrote:
> Hi, Dan,
> 
> Attached is the current -04 rev of the file draft. I'll be in Stockholm 
> the whole week for IETF 75, and would like to use the opportunity, if 
> necessary, to clear the remaining discusses on the draft. Is the right 
> way to do this to submit now, before the deadline, and prepare an -05 
> with any additional IESG comments, or to circulate the document 
> "privately", without submission, and incorporate any additional comments 
> into -04?
> 
> Thanks, and best regards,
> 
> Brian
> This body part will be downloaded on demand.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:38:15 +0200

Hi, Nevil,

Cool, thanks (and my condolences to Russell); will submit in the CET  
morning/early afternoon tomorrow. FWIW, Russell's comments echo very  
much the draft's original stance (encryption is external, out of  
scope, and must be chosen on a per-deployment basis to meet each  
environment's own standards) but have the downside (as discussed by  
the security ADs) that there is no provision for inter-organizational  
or inter-vendor exchange of encrypted files. (Of course, IPFIX files  
are files, and you can store them however you like, ignoring CMS if  
you have no use for it; the only penalty is you'll have to decrypt the  
file yourself "outside" a compliant File Reader... which for  
organizations that have such procedures in place, is probably no  
penalty at all...)

Cheers,

Brian

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Nevil Brownlee wrote:

>> Attached is the current -04 rev of the file draft. I'll be in  
>> Stockholm the whole week for IETF 75, and would like to use the  
>> opportunity, if necessary, to clear the remaining discusses on the  
>> draft. Is the right way to do this to submit now, before the  
>> deadline, and prepare an -05 with any additional IESG comments, or  
>> to circulate the document "privately", without submission, and  
>> incorporate any additional comments into -04?