Subject: [IPFIX] Exporting application information?

From: "Fan, Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:11:08 +0800

Dear IPFIXers,

We posted two drafts about requirement and IE definition exporting
application layer information using IPFIX. Your comments are welcomed.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-fan-ipfix-content-info-req-00.txt

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-fan-ipfix-content-info-ie-00.txt

Note that the purpose of the drafts are to discuss the needs to extend
current function of IPFIX and define new IEs used for reporting
application-layer specific information, though, after talking with chairs
and Benoit, we find the drafts may cause misunderstanding for intercepting
or something. We are thinking the work can be carried out in the aspect of
protocols (which are on the layers above layer 4), and specific fields of
protocols (say a header field) can be exported globally and statistically
without specific targets for monitoring traffic flows.

One example protocol is HTTP. The following are some of the specific use
cases:

1. we may have to define httpRequestedUrl and httpRequestedHost to monitor
on the peering/transit routers connecting other ISPs networks the traffic
that goes out into their networks. A list of web site hosts together with
traffic volume destined to them is vital to determine which outside web
sites absorb traffic most and should be brought into our network.

2. today in many providers' networks we have to monitor the performance of
web sites, e.g. download duration of a web page, success rate of request,
etc. Then at least we will need httpRequestMethod, httpRequestReferer, and
httpResponseStatusCode.

3. we need httpUserAgent to give us browser platform information statistics
when designing and promoting apps and services.

Thank you for your review.

Regards,

Peng