Subject: [IPFIX] Link-layer IEs draft submitted to IESG

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:54:13 +1300

Hi all:

Here's the write-up for our link-layer IEs draft, which I've just submitted.

Cheers, Nevil

Write-up for:
   draft-ietf-ipfix-data-link-layer-monitoring-06
   Information Elements for Data Link Layer Traffic Measurement

=== 1. Summary ===

Document shepherd: Nevil Brownlee
Responsible Area Director: Benoit Claise

This document describes Information Elements (IEs) related to data
link layer.  They are used by the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
protocol for encoding measured data link layer traffic information.

The document is intended to be a Proposed Standard.  It describes,
in detail, a set of Information Elements describing link-layer
objects.  These will be particularly to service providers who use
Wide-Area Ethernet or Virtual Ethernet technologies.

=== 2. Review and Consensus ===

This draft's -00 version was published in July 2012. Two of its
authors were from a large Japanese provider who needed to monitor and
report on link-layer performance.  Since then it has received ongoing
low-activity-level discussion on the IPFIX list.  It has also been
discussed at each IETF meeting since then; alas, the WG has always
considered this as low-priority work.

Its WGLC was run in October 2012; we realised at that point that we
needed someone from IEEE 802.1 to check that our Ethernet IEs were
correct in their descriptions of the IEEE-defined technologies.
Pat Thaler, IEEE liaison for IETF, has helped develop this document
since then, she confirms that the IEEE-related IEs are correct in
their descriptions.

It has been carefully reviewed by Paul Aitken and Brian Trammell,
both pointed out issues; these have been addressed in successive
versions.

Overall I believe that there is clear consensus within the WG for
this draft.

=== 3. Intellectual Property ===

No IPR disclosures have been made directly on this draft, IPR
on it has not been discussed in the WG.

Two of the authors have stated that their direct, personal
knowledge of any IPR related to this document has already been
disclosed, in conformance with BCPs 78 and 79.
The third author, Shingo Kashima, has not responded to my email
requests for this confirmation.

=== 4. Other Points ===

This document has no downward references.

Its IANA Considerations clearly state what IANA is being asked
to do, i.e. add 25 new IPFIX Information Elements to the
IPFIX Information Element Registry.  These have been discussed
at IETF meetings with all four of the IE-Doctors present.

It also describes two existing IEs: 312, dataLinkFrameSize and
315, dataLinkFrameSection.  These are already in the Information
Element Registry - they're listed here so that all the link-layer
IEs are described in a single RFC.

The ID-nits checker has a few other complaints; the RFC Editor will
fix those.

Overall, I believe that this draft is ready for publication as
an RFC.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 22:40:50 +0200

Dear all,

I reviewed the document, and this document is in good shape.
Therefore, its state is now "Last Call Requested"

Regards, Benoit