Subject: [IPFIX] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 07:28:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Flow Information Export Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Operation of the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol on IPFIX Mediators
	Author(s)       : Benoit Claise
                          Atsushi Kobayashi
                          Brian Trammell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-07.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2013-10-04

Abstract:
   This document specifies the operation of the IP Flow Information
   Export (IPFIX) protocol specific to IPFIX Mediators, including
   Template and Observation Point management, timing considerations, and
   other Mediator-specific concerns.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Andrew Feren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 12:43:52 -0400

Hi Benoit, Atsushi, and Brian,

I have a few additional comments and questions.

I like the clarification of the Original Exporter text.  I'm not in love
with including "Exporter" in the name.  I think I'd prefer Original Data
Source.  If, for example, I write a mediator to pull SNMP values to
export with IPFIX the term Original Exporter feels a little forced.  But
I can live with the current name.

There is one other weird corner case for "4.1.1.  Template Mapping and
Information Element Ordering".
If the same IE occurs multiple times.  It might make sense to reorder
other IEs, but the relative order of the *data* for the identical IEs
should be maintained.  Obviously the order identical IEs in the template
doesn't really matter.

I think I'm OK leaving this out, but is it worth noting that v9 IEs >=
32768 need special handling?

On rereading I have some questions about option templates and scope.

If an option template  received by a mediator contains details scoped to
an exporterIPv[46]Address to further describe a data element.  How does
the post mediator collector connect this information back together?

SrcA exports
Option template
{ scope=exporterIPv4Address='SrcA',
  scope=someId=1
  someName="Fred",
  someDescription="Wilma's Husband"
}
Data
{ IE1 .. IEn = data1 .. datan
   someId=1
}

SrcB exports
Option template
{ scope=exporterIPv4Address='SrcA',
  scope=someId=1
  someName="Barney",
  someDescription="Betty's Husband"
}
Data
{ IE1 .. IEn = data1 .. datan
   someId=1
}

What does the Mediator export?
Could the Mediator make a different decison if it has only seen the data
templates?
What happens when the Options Template is first seen?

-Andrew

On 10/04/2013 10:28 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix