Subject: IPP> Spreadsheet for Optional IPPv2 OPERATIONS

From: "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:12:51 -0400

Hi,

Corrected subject line - this spreadsheet addresses ONLY operations and does
not (thanks goodness) address optional attributes.

The CUPS and Novell iPrint implementation lists are good sources for justifying
the requirement for optional operations (I've recently been thinking about this
topic for Samsung).

Printer vendors - please look at your own implementations and think about
your votes carefully.

Raising ANY optional operations to required for IPPv2 profiles (especially
the lowest IPP/2.0 level for basic workgroup printers) would be unwise.
For example, although Pause-Printer and Resume-Printer are very widely
implemented, they are NOT universally implemented.

I suggest that the votes in this spreadsheet should be not just A/B/C but
A-2.1, etc.  That is, the level at which an optional operation becomes
required.

I also suggest that we don't make ANY originally optional operation
required for the lowest IPP/2.0 level - otherwise, the standard will
probably be voted down.

Cheers,
- Ira

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:25 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>  I have added the proposed spreadsheet for the IPP Optional Attributes at:
>
>    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-docs/IPP-OPTIONAL-OPS-PRIORITY.doc
>
>  Everyone is encouraged to provide an input as to the recommended priority
>  for each, currrently optional attrribute, to be mandatory for IPPv2.
>  Return your recommendation directly to me and I will add the data to the
>  spreadsheet.  This will be a topic of discussion at the PWG meeting next
>  week.
>
>  Priority codes are:
>       A = Essential
>       B = Useful, but not critical
>       C = Not necessary
>
>
>

-- 
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: [email-masked]
winter:
 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434