Subject: IPP> Text for IPPv2 Conformance

From: Michael R Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:37:35 -0700

Here is some suggested text for section 6 of the IPPv2 spec:

     6 CONFORMANCE

     6.1 IPP CONFORMANCE

     The current IPP specification [RFC2911] requires that IPP
     attributes received, that are not supported or not understood,
     are to be processed according to the defined procedures, and
     an appropriate status code returned.  Many implementations
     historically have not conformed to this requirement, causing
     communications problems and failed printing.

     To claim compliance with any of the IPPv2 versions, an
     implementation MUST correctly process attributes, values, or
     groups that are not supported per RFC 2911, sections 3.1.7,
     3.1.8, 3.2.1.2, 3.3.5.1, 3.3.7.1, 4.1.2.3, and 13.1.2.2,
     including collection attributes as defined in RFC 3382,
     section 7.

     For example, implementations MUST support reading the IPP
     noValue tag as a valid value for an attribute that normally
     would be encoded as an enum, integer, name, or keyword value
     tag.  Similarly, implementations MUST correctly process (or
     ignore) collection values as defined by RFC 3382, even if
     the implementation does not support the media-col attribute
     itself.

     6.2 HTTP CONFORMANCE

     The current IPP specification [RFC2911] requires transport
     over HTTP/1.1 as defined in RFC 2616.  Many implementations
     historically have not used a HTTP/1.1 transport or provided
     complete HTTP/1.1 support.

     To claim compliance with any of the IPPv2 versions, an
     implementation MUST support the complete HTTP/1.1 protocol
     as defined in RFC 2616, including chunking as defined in
     section 3.6.1 and the Expect header as defined in section
     5.3.

     In addition, implementations supporting TLS encryption MUST
     support the HTTP Upgrade protocol as defined in RFC 2817.

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer