Subject: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list

From: "Windler Burri Sarah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:12:41 +0200

Hi 
In the new IANA registration list of IPP (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipp-registrations) there an incorrect indication:

printer-authentication-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)    [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  requesting-user-name                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  certificate                                              [RFC2911]   4.4.2

must be

uri-authentication-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)        [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  requesting-user-name                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2
  certificate                                              [RFC2911]   4.4.2

Kind regards
Sarah Windler

---
ETH Zuerich
Informatikdienste/VPP
Sarah Windler Burri               
RZ E 24                      phone: +41 44 632 35 43
Clausiusstrasse 59           fax: +41 44 632 12 25
CH-8092 Zuerich              e-mail: [email-masked]

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: "Tom Hastings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:36:44 -0700

Hi Michelle,

How have you been?  It's been a long time since I corresponded to you about
IANA IPP Registry.  I retired from Xerox last June, but I'm still on the IPP
mailing list.

An alert reader from China found an error in the IANA IPP Registry.  See her
email below.  Her suggested fix wasn't correct, however.  I then found a
similar second error (after Googling the first error:
"printer-authentication-supported" and finding an email message about the
second one as well).  These are mistakes in what I had sent to you back in
2005 for the IPP IANA Registry.  Sorry about that.

Please simply delete the lines highlighted in yellow below from the IANA IPP
Registry.

Thanks,

Tom Hastings

(310) 372-6734

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tom
Hastings
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 13:13
To: 'Windler Burri Sarah'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has two errors]

Sarah,

Thank you for catching an error in the IPP IANA Registration
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipp-registrations).  (BTW, This error has
been in the Registry since 2005).  However, your suggested fix is not
correct.  See below.

The uri-authentication-supported (1setOf type2 keyword) is already present
in the IANA Registry (see below in the registry where you found
printer-authentication-supported).  The attributes in this section are
listing the keywords that are defined by IPP and the names of the attributes
are in alphabetic order.

The simple fix to the registry is to completely DELETE the erroneous 6 lines
that you found:

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

since RFC 2911 does NOT define such an attribute in any section. 

Thank you for detecting an error and contacting us.

There is also a second similar error in the IANA IPP Registry.  The
following 4 lines should also be deleted:

printer-security-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)          [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  ssl3                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  tls                                                      [RFC2911]   4.4.3

since [RFC2911] Section 4.4.3 defines the uri-security-supported (1setOf
type2 keyword) attribute, NOT a printer-security-supported (1setOf type2
keyword) attribute.  And the IANA Registry already correctly lists the
uri-security-supported attribute and its keywords.

We will contact the IANA Registry and fix this problem that you found and
the second error that was related.

Please contact us with any other errors that you find.

Thank you,

Tom Hastings, one of the editors of RFC 2911.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Windler
Burri Sarah
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 09:13
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list

Hi 

In the new IANA registration list of IPP
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipp-registrations) there an incorrect
indication:

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

must be

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

Kind regards

Sarah Windler

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

ipp mailing list

[email-masked]

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is 
believed to be clean.

---

From: "Tom Hastings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:12:35 -0700

Sarah,

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  ssl3                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  tls                                                      [RFC2911]   4.4.3

Thank you,

-----Original Message-----

Hi 

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

must be

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

Kind regards

Sarah Windler

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

ipp mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Hastings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 13:16:51 -0700

To: IPP WG,

I got a bounce message for the following email message from the IPP mail
server because my attachment was too big:

    Message body is too big: 333558 bytes with a limit of 250 KB

So I canceled it and posted the attachment on the FTP server in a new
sub-directory under /pub/pwg/ipp, since there didn't appear to be any better
folder already existing.  See:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org//pub/pwg/ipp/IANA-IPP-registrations/IANA-ipp-registrations
-2009-07-27-th.doc
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/IANA-IPP-registrations/IANA-ipp-registrations
-2009-07-27-th.doc> 

Tom

  _____  

From: Tom Hastings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 12:37
To: 'Michelle S. Cotton'
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has three errors to
be fixed]

Michelle,

Sarah Windler found another mistake in the IANA IPP Registrations, for which
we thank her.

I've attached an MS-WORD .doc file that shows with change tracking all that
needs to be changed to the IPP Registrations since the last update on
2009-07-27 (at: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipp-registrations).  It also
includes a formatting fix to indent three keywords two spaces under the
attribute for which they are defined and deletes the following  redundant
sentence that is repeated two sentences later:

The keyword values are indented two spaces under the attribute(s) for which

they are defined.  

Thanks,

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Windler Burri Sarah [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 00:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has two errors]

Hi Tom

thank you very much for the deeper checking of the correct attributes. 

I found a (very little) other error too:

sides (type2 keyword)                                      [RFC2911]   4.2.8

sides-default (type2 keyword)                              [RFC2911]   4.2.8

sides-supported (type2 keyword)                            [RFC2911]   4.2.8
<---- should be 1setOf type2 keyword

  one-sided                                                [RFC2911]   4.2.8

  two-sided-long-edge                                      [RFC2911]   4.2.8

  two-sided-short-edge                                     [RFC2911]   4.2.8

Kind regards

Sarah

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

  _____  

From: Tom Hastings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 13:37
To: Michelle S. Cotton
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has two errors to be
fixed]

Hi Michelle,

Thanks,

Tom Hastings

(310) 372-6734

  _____  

Sarah,

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  ssl3                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  tls                                                      [RFC2911]   4.4.3

Thank you,

-----Original Message-----

Hi 

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

must be

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

Kind regards

Sarah Windler

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

ipp mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Hastings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:55:18 -0700

I've uploaded an updated version of the MS-WORD file with change tracking
showing the fixes that Sarah has found in the IPP IANA Registrations.  It's
available at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org//pub/pwg/ipp/IANA-ipp-registrations-2009-07-27-edited-by-t
h-2009-09-10.doc
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/IANA-IPP-registrations/IANA-ipp-registrations
-2009-07-27-th.doc> 

Tom

  _____  

From: Tom Hastings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 22:48
To: Michelle S. Cotton ([email-masked])
Cc: Tom Hastings ([email-masked]); [email-masked]'
Subject: More [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [now has 5 errors to
be fixed]

Michelle,

Sarah has found two more errors in the IPP IANA Registrations.  I've
attached the updated MS-WORD file with change track revisions for all of the
errors since it was last updated on 2009-07-27 to be fixed on the IANA IPP
Registration when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Tom

  _____  

From: Windler Burri Sarah [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 01:32
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: RESEND: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has three
errors tobe fixed]

Hi Tom

Found  other (little) issues:

"orientation-requested-supported" should be "1setOf type2 enum"

"pdl-override-supported" of "type2 keyword": the keyword registration
doesn't exist, should be

"attempted"

"not-attempted"

Sorry about the bit by bit input, but it was unexpected for me too.

Kind regards

Sarah

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tom
Hastings
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 13:17
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RESEND: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has three errors
tobe fixed]

To: IPP WG,

 

Tom

  _____  

Michelle,

they are defined.  

Thanks,

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Windler Burri Sarah [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 00:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [IPP] Attribute registration in IANA list [has two errors]

Hi Tom

Kind regards

Sarah

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

  _____  

Hi Michelle,

Thanks,

Tom Hastings

(310) 372-6734

  _____  

Sarah,

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  ssl3                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.3

  tls                                                      [RFC2911]   4.4.3

Thank you,

-----Original Message-----

Hi 

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

must be

  none                                                     [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  basic                                                    [RFC2911]   4.4.2

  digest                                                   [RFC2911]   4.4.2

Kind regards

Sarah Windler

---

ETH Zuerich

Informatikdienste/VPP

Sarah Windler Burri               

 

-- 

believed to be clean.

ipp mailing list

[email-masked]