Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs in IANA PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:31:46 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings: 

At the February WIMS  Face-to-face meeting, it was agreed that, in line with the standization of the IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET  entry, it would be desirable to have standard terms  to identify more of the prevalent PDL types and versions. The most reasonable way to do this is to add them to the PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC in the IANA Printer MIB ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib ) 

It was suggested that JDF, JMF and PPML be  added. 

It was also suggested that new entrys be added to be able to distinguish between significantly different versions of common PDLs. Suggestions were: 

PS2, PS3, PCL3, PCL5e, PCL6 and various versions of PDF ( ISO 19005 [PDF/a], ISO32000 [PDF1.7], PDF1.3, PDF1.5 and PDF/is were mentioned). 

We are soliciting comments on whether these additions are proper and sufficient, or whether there are other common interpreter languages or variations that are sufficiently different from those already listed that should be included. 

Please send your comments to [email-masked] . 

Thanks, 

Bill Wagner 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
pwg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce

---

From: "Christoph Lindemann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:11:53 +0100

Hi,

I try to maintain a list of found IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET values
on the following page:

http://www.undocprint.org/formats/communication_protocols/ieee_1284#comm
and_set

So you might find some inspiration there.

Best regards,

Christoph Lindemann

 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:32 AM
To: PWG announce; PWG, WIMS
Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs in
IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

 Greetings:

At the February WIMS  Face-to-face meeting, it was agreed that, in line
with the standization of the IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET  entry, it
would be desirable to have standard terms  to identify more of the
prevalent PDL types and versions. The most reasonable way to do this is
to add them to the PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC in the IANA Printer MIB
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib)

It was also suggested that new entrys be added to be able to distinguish
between significantly different versions of common PDLs. Suggestions
were:

PS2, PS3, PCL3, PCL5e, PCL6 and various versions of PDF ( ISO 19005
[PDF/a], ISO32000 [PDF1.7], PDF1.3, PDF1.5 and PDF/is were mentioned).

We are soliciting comments on whether these additions are proper and
sufficient, or whether there are other common interpreter languages or
variations that are sufficiently different from those already listed
that should be included. 

Please send your comments to [email-masked].

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is

believed to be clean.

---

From: "Nagasaka Fumio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:27:41 +0900

Hi Chris,
 
After I reviewed your page, I found some of old or incorrect Epson
entities,
and I am just curious how you could find these information.
 
I passed this information to my engineer and can we request to correct
some of entities?
I suppose we need around 10 days for internal reviewing of all products.
 
Thank you so much and kind regards,

--------------------------------------------------------- 
Fumio Nagasaka 
Consumer Products Operations Division, 
SEIKO EPSON Corporation 
TEL +81 263 54 1326 (Direct line), FAX +81 263 52 9276 
--------------------------------------------------------- 

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Christoph Lindemann
	Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 5:12 PM
	To: PWG, WIMS
	Cc: PWG announce
	Subject: RE: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs
inIANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

	Hi,

	I try to maintain a list of found IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND
SET values on the following page:

	Best regards,

	Christoph Lindemann

	 

	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
	Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:32 AM
	To: PWG announce; PWG, WIMS
	Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs in
IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

	 Greetings:

	At the February WIMS  Face-to-face meeting, it was agreed that,
in line with the standization of the IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET
entry, it would be desirable to have standard terms  to identify more of
the prevalent PDL types and versions. The most reasonable way to do this
is to add them to the PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC in the IANA Printer MIB
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib)

	It was also suggested that new entrys be added to be able to
distinguish between significantly different versions of common PDLs.
Suggestions were:

	PS2, PS3, PCL3, PCL5e, PCL6 and various versions of PDF ( ISO
19005 [PDF/a], ISO32000 [PDF1.7], PDF1.3, PDF1.5 and PDF/is were
mentioned).

	We are soliciting comments on whether these additions are proper
and sufficient, or whether there are other common interpreter languages
or variations that are sufficiently different from those already listed
that should be included. 

	Thanks,

	Bill Wagner

	-- 
	This message has been scanned for viruses and 
	dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/>
, and is 
	believed to be clean. 

	-- 
	This message has been scanned for viruses and 
	dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/>
, and is 
	believed to be clean.

---

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:51:03 -0500

Hello Chris et al.,

Many thanks for your information. I think the confusion inherent the CMD
entry evidenced by the list
(http://www.undocprint.org/formats/communication_protocols/ieee_1284#command
_set)  is sound rational for the proposed PWG Command Set Format for IEEE
1284 Device ID 1.0 candidate standard
(ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/wd/wd-pmp1284cmdset10-20100125.pdf). 

For some reason, your original email did not get through to me, and perhaps
others, so I would recommend that those who have not yet viewed this list of
collected CMD strings take a look at it.

The intent of the PWG Command Set Format document (as  is the web page that
Chris referenced) is to allow application developers to understand what
print and command languages are supported by the device they are
communicating with.  Although the PWG Command Set Format document does allow
for private language types to be identified,  understanding is better
achieved when the language is identified via a public standard such as the
IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC or a MIME type. That is why the PWG is
seeking to determine what additional languages should be registered.
Registration does, of course, require a reference to a complete description
of the language.

We encourage those who know of some current, popular printer or command
language, likely to appear in a new product, to identify the language and
the proper identification string (along with descriptive information) to be
included under IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC. For the languages currently
included, and the type of  identification information necessary, see
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner, Chairman PWG/WIMS

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Christoph Lindemann
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 8:06 AM
To: Nagasaka Fumio
Cc: PWG, WIMS
Subject: [WIMS] RE: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs
inIANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

Hi Fumio,

I can not remember exactly how each of them made it s way onto the list, but
some entries are from the 1284 ID information returned by some of the
printers I have come across. Others from the OpenPrinting DB (there where a
lot in some old version of it) and similar. And some just from the web or
mailing lists. There might also be some that where added to the wiki by
other people.

Please feel free to update and extend the information! Just hit the edit
button ;)

If there are old or deprecated values, they should still be in the list, but
they could be marked as obsolete. If there are incorrect values, they should
of course be removed or updated. All possible values (new and deprecated)
should be included into the list, so the list can be used by application
developers (CUPS, OpenPrinting, "Some Commercial Vendor") to map the correct
feature provided by a given printer (also the exotic).

If, for instance, you feel that there are values that should be avoided in
future, you could mark them as "deprecated" or similar.

Please also feel free to add any documentation you might have about page
description languages and communication protocols. If you have some old
manuals about some old deprecated Epson PDL that would be nice too (This can
be used to support legacy applications)

  _____  

From: Nagasaka Fumio [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 12:28 PM
To: Christoph Lindemann; PWG, WIMS
Cc: PWG announce
Subject: RE: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs
inIANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

Hi Chris,

After I reviewed your page, I found some of old or incorrect Epson entities,

I passed this information to my engineer and can we request to correct some
of entities?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Christoph Lindemann
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 5:12 PM
To: PWG, WIMS
Cc: PWG announce
Subject: RE: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs
inIANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

Hi,

I try to maintain a list of found IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET values on
the following page:

http://www.undocprint.org/formats/communication_protocols/ieee_1284#command_
set

Best regards,

Christoph Lindemann

 

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:32 AM
To: PWG announce; PWG, WIMS
Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs in
IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

 Greetings:

At the February WIMS  Face-to-face meeting, it was agreed that, in line with
the standization of the IEEE 1284 Device ID COMMAND SET  entry, it would be
desirable to have standard terms  to identify more of the prevalent PDL
types and versions. The most reasonable way to do this is to add them to the
PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC in the IANA Printer MIB
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib)

It was also suggested that new entrys be added to be able to distinguish
between significantly different versions of common PDLs. Suggestions were:

PS2, PS3, PCL3, PCL5e, PCL6 and various versions of PDF ( ISO 19005 [PDF/a],
ISO32000 [PDF1.7], PDF1.3, PDF1.5 and PDF/is were mentioned).

We are soliciting comments on whether these additions are proper and
sufficient, or whether there are other common interpreter languages or
variations that are sufficiently different from those already listed that
should be included. 

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is 
believed to be clean. 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is 
believed to be clean. 

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and 
dangerous content by  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is 
believed to be clean.