Subject: [IPP] {Disarmed} Proposed DelayOutputUntil semantic definition

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:51:55 -0800

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

1.1.1.1      "DelayOutputUntil" (type3 keyword): [W1] 

The client OPTIONALLY supplies this JobProcessing element. The Service
SHOULD support the "DelayOutputUntil" JobProcessing element for use in
Job creation operations with at least the 'indefinite' value. If
supplied and supported as specified in the Service's "DelayOutputUntil"
JobProcessingCapabilities element, the Service copies the supplied
JobProcessing element to the Job object, replacing the job's previous
"DelayOutputUntil" element, if present. If the element is supplied, but
either the "DelayOutputUntil" JobProcessing element itself or the value
supplied is not supported, the Service accepts the request, returns the
unsupported element or value in the "UnsupportedElements" operation
response element. Since this element is a member of the JobProcessing
Element Group it adheres to the same rules regarding the "MustHonor"
attribute or the JobMandatoryElements element. 

"DelayOutputUntil" does not affect the scheduling of a job. The element
affect when the output of a Job is delivered. The output of a Job is
Service specific. For example the output of a Copy Job is impressed
media sheet(s) and the output of a FaxOut Job is the transmission of one
or more images. If a Job has a "DelayOutputUntil" in its JobTicket the
output of the job is delayed until the condition is met or a client
performs a subsequent Resume<service>Job operation. 

If the client 

*          supplies a value that specifies a time period that has
already started or the ' NoHold' value (meaning don't delay the job
output) and 

*          the Service supports the "DelayOutputUntil" element and 

*          there are no other reasons to prevent the output of the Job
from being delivered, 

the Service MUST begin delivering the output immediately. If there is a
reason that prevents the output from being delivered immediately (e.g.
output in use by another Job), the Job's output will be delivered as
soon as the reason no longer exists. 

If the client does not supply a "DelayOutputUntil" JobProcessing element
in the Job creation request, it has the same semantics as a
"DelayOutputUntil" element with the 'NoHold' value (i.e. produce the Job
output without delay) 

If the client:

*         supplies a value that specifies a time period that has not
started and 

*         the Service supports the "DelayOutputUntil" element, 

the Service MUST NOT begin delivering the output until the condition is
met or a client performs a subsequent Resume<service>Job operation. 

When a Job's output is being delayed and no further processing is
possible, the "JobState" MUST transition to 'ProcessingStoped' state.
When a Job's output is being delayed, the "JobStateReason" MUST contain
the value 'JobDelaySpecified'. When a Job's delayed output is no longer
delayed, the "JobState" MUST transition to 'Processing' state. When a
Job's output is not being delayed, the "JobStateReason" MUST NOT contain
the value 'JobDelaySpecified'. 

1.1.1.2     "DelayOutputUntilTime" (DateTime): 

The client OPTIONALLY supplies this JobProcessing element. The Service
SHOULD support the "DelayOutputUntilTime" JobProcessing element for use
in Job creation operations. If supplied and supported as specified in
the Service's " DelayOutputUntilTime " JobProcessingCapabilities
element, the Service copies the supplied JobProcessing element to the
Job object, replacing the job's previous "DelayOutputUntilTime" element,
if present. If the element is supplied, but it is not supported, the
Service accepts the request, returns the unsupported element in the
"UnsupportedElements" operation response element. Since this element is
a member of the JobProcessing Element Group it adheres to the same rules
regarding the "MustHonor" attribute or the JobMandatoryElements element.

"DelayOutputUntilTime"Does not affect the scheduling of a job. The
element affect when the output of a Job is delivered. The output of a
Job is Service specific. For example the output of a Copy Job is
impressed media sheet(s) and the output of a FaxOut Job is the
transmission of one or more images. If a Job has a
"DelayOutputUntilTime" in its JobTicket the output of the job is delayed
until the condition is met or a client performs a subsequent
Resume<service>Job operation. 

If the client 

*         supplies a value, and 

*         the Service supports the "DelayOutputUntilTime" element and 

*         there are no other reasons to prevent the output of the Job
from being delivered,

 the Service MUST begin delivering the output when the
"DelayOutputUntilTime" matches the system's current time. 

If there is a reason that prevents the output from being delivered at
the designated time (e.g. output in use by another Job), the Job's
output will be delivered as soon as the reason no longer exists. 

If the client does not supply a "DelayOutputUntilTime" JobProcessing
element in the Job creation request, it has the same semantics as a
"DelayOutputUntilTime" element with a value equal to the system's
current time (i.e. produce the Job output without delay) 

If the client 

*         supplies a value that specifies a time period that has not
started and 

*         the Service supports the "DelayOutputUntilTime" element, 

the Service MUST NOT begin delivering the output until the system's time
is equal to the "DelayOutputUntilTime" value or a client performs a
subsequent Resume<service>Job operation. 

When a Job's output is being delayed and no further processing is
possible, the "JobState" MUST transition to 'ProcessingStoped' state.
When a Job's output is being delayed, the "JobStateReason" MUST contain
the value 'JobDelaySpecified'. When a Job's delayed output is no longer
delayed, the "JobState" MUST transition to 'Processing' state. When a
Job's output is not being delayed, the "JobStateReason" MUST NOT contain
the value 'JobDelaySpecified'. 

________________________________

 [W1]Note added element descriptions

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp