Subject: [IPP] NIST Draft guidelines for 3-D Printer Security

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:36:11 -0400

>From a recent SANS Institute newsletter:

--NIST Releases Draft Guidelines for 3-D Printer Security
(September 11, 2014)
The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has
released draft guidelines for 3-D printer security. The guidelines note
that attackers who manage to breach the printers' security could not
only steal sensitive plans but also pose physical threats to the plants
and employees. The specialized printers, which sometimes use metal
powders to "print" objects, could explode. The machines' commands could
also be altered, undermining the printed objects' integrity. NIST will
accept comments on the document through October 17, 2014.
http://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2014/09/heres-why-you-dont-want-your-3-d-printer-get-hacked/93923/
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/nistir-8023/nistir_8023_draft.pdf

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp