Subject: [IPP] New Cloud-related operations for IPP System Service

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:29:34 -0500

Hi Mike,

The minutes from the IPP sessions at the November F2F are a little
confusing.

Am I correct in understanding that the new operations for IPP System Service
(using SM case conventions) are:

(1) RegisterSystem (register whole IPP System with a Cloud Infrastructure
Printer)

(2) DeregisterSystem (deregister whole IPP System from a Cloud
Infrastructure Printer)

(3) DeregisterOutputDevice (deregister one IPP Printer/Device from Cloud)
- for the case of a Shutdown[All/One]Printer(s) to an IPP System Service

And then the agreed subset of Resource operations for IPP System Service
that
are in the November F2F minutes?

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:40:53 -0500

Ira,

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Ira McDonald <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Mike,
> 
> The minutes from the IPP sessions at the November F2F are a little confusing.
> 
> (1) RegisterSystem (register whole IPP System with a Cloud Infrastructure Printer)
> 
> (2) DeregisterSystem (deregister whole IPP System from a Cloud Infrastructure Printer)
> 

I'm not sure this needs to be in the system service, we already have it in the base Print service (and thus any of the other services).

> And then the agreed subset of Resource operations for IPP System Service that

Correct.

> Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:51:54 -0500

Hi Mike,

For operation (3) DeregisterOutputDevice, I was thinking of the case
where a running service (Print in the near term) crashes (and this is
noticed by System Service, let us hope).  If DeregisterOutputDevice
is (redundantly) supported by the System Service, then an Administrator
could do the cleanup for the Infrastructure Printer (who might queue
jobs).

Or, I'm crazy, and the System Service would automatically do this
cleanup internally and no external operation needs to be exposed.
But that risks a Deregister when the crashed service can be
successfully automatically restarted by the System Service after
a brief interval of unavailability.

I have mixed feelings about the reliability (and advisability) of
automatic recovery by the System Service for crashed or stalled
Job Services.

WDYT?

Cheers,
- Ira

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Michael Sweet <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm not sure this needs to be in the system service, we already have it in
> the base Print service (and thus any of the other services).
>