Subject: [IPP] Posted IPP over HTTPS Transport Binding and 'ipps' URI Scheme (18 Dec 2014)

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:50:28 -0500

Hi,

This version has editorial changes requested by IESG reviewers in early
December,
when it was approved for publication as a standards-track RFC.

I've just posted another Internet-Draft of IPP over HTTPS Transport Binding
and
'ipps' URI Scheme to:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.txt
 - plaintext Internet-Draft format (warning - contains explicit formfeed
characters)

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.log
 - plaintext change log (removed from body of spec)

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.pdf
 - PDF of plaintext w/ line numbers (review *this* one)

This document has already been accepted and posted to the IETF I-D
repository.

This document is parallel to, but does not update or obsolete, RFC 3510.

 Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira

--------------------------------

Change History

18 December 2014 - draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18.txt

- Editorial - Revised section 1 Introduction to expand bullet (a)
to update sections 4, 5, and 8.2 of [RFC2910] to explicitly add new
standard scheme of 'ipps' for IPP Printers,
per Sandra Murphy.

- Editorial - Revised section 1 Introduction to expand bullet (b)
to update sections 4.1.6 and 4.4.1 of [RFC2911] to explicitly add new
standard scheme of 'ipps' for IPP Printers,
per Sandra Murphy.

- Editorial - Revised section 1 Introduction to delete bullet (c)
reference to updating PWG IPP 2.0 [PWG5100.12] (will be covered by a new
PWG version of [PWG5100.12] in 2015 to move to full IEEE Standard),
per Spencer Dawkins, Adrian Farrel, Barry Leiba, Sandra Murphy, Pete
Resnick, Robert Sparks, and other reviewers.

- Editorial - Revised section 1.2 Rationale for this Document bullet (1)
about flawed implementations of HTTP Upgrade [RFC2817] to add
"although this is not due to specification defects in [RFC2817] itself",
per Pete Resnick.

- Editorial - Revised section 1.2 Rationale for this Document bullet (2)
and section 6.1.2 Layers of Attacks bullet (a)
to replace [STD7] with [TCPROAD] for normative TCP reference,
per Barry Leiba and Spencer Dawkins.

Editorial - Revised section 2.1 Printing Terminology definition of IPP
Client to change "a downstream IPP Printer" to simply "an IPP Printer",
since discussion of forwarding and "fan-out" of print jobs [RFC3998] is
out-of-scope in this specification,
per Sandra Murphy and Mike Sweet.

Editorial - Revised section 2.1 Printing Terminology definition of IPP
Printer to change "an upstream IPP Client or IPP Printer" to simply
"an IPP Client", since discussion of forwarding and "fan-out" of print
jobs [RFC3998] is out-of-scope in this specification,
per Sandra Murphy and Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 4.2 Syntax of 'ipps' URI Scheme to
mention general caution about IPP Printer URI lengths greater than 255
octets for both 'ipp' [RFC3510] and 'ipps' schemes,
per Sandra Murphy.

- Editorial - Revised section 4.3 Associated Port for 'ipps' URI Scheme
to delete (confusing) last paragraph about listening on port 443,
per Pete Resnick and Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 4.5 Examples of 'ipps' URI to delete
(confusing) example about use of port 443,
per Pete Resnick and Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 4.5 Examples of 'ipps' URI actual examples
to align with IPP Everywhere [PWG5100.14], IPP FaxOut Service
[PWG5100.15], and IPP Scan Service [PWG5100.17] best practice,
per Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 6.1.1 Targets of Attacks bullet (d) to add
"for example, to steal the data" (i.e., theft of data in transit),
per Kathleen Moriarty.

- Editorial - Revised section 6.2.4 No Client Authentication for 'ipps'
URI to remove all references to downgrade (from TLS to straight TCP),
explicitly mention the IPP "three sisters" relevant attributes, and
add example of LDAP Printer Schema [RFC3712] for directory protocols,
per Sandra Murphy and Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 6.3 TLS Version Requirements to add
informative reference to IETF UTA TLS BCP
"Recommendations for Secure Use of TLS and DTLS",
per Kathleen Moriarty.

- Editorial - Revised section 7 Acknowledgments to add other IETF and
PWG reviewers.

- Editorial - Revised section 8.1 Normative References
to delete unused [RFC7232], [RFC7233], [RFC7234], and [RFC7235],
per ID-Nits.

- Editorial - Revised section 8.1 Normative References
to delete [STD7] for normative TCP reference,

- Editorial - Revised section 8.2 Informative References
to add missing [IPPREG] (IANA IPP Registry),
per ID-Nits.

- Editorial - Revised section 8.2 Informative References to add
LDAP Printer Schema [RFC3712] for update to section 6.2.4 above,
per Sandra Murphy and Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 8.2 Informative References to add
IPP FaxOut Service [PWG5100.15] and IPP Scan Service [PWG5100.17],
per Mike Sweet.

- Editorial - Revised section 8.2 Informative References to add
[TCPROAD] for informative TCP reference,
per Barry Leiba and Spencer Dawkins.

- Editorial - Revised section Authors' Addresses to update Mike Sweet's
contact info.
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: "Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:12:03 +0000

Hi Ira,
> per Sandra Murphy and Mike Sweet.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what are the “three sisters”?

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Hewlett-Packard Co.
*/

> On 2014-12-18, at 1:50 PM, Ira McDonald <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> This version has editorial changes requested by IESG reviewers in early December,
> I've just posted another Internet-Draft of IPP over HTTPS Transport Binding and
> 'ipps' URI Scheme to:
> 
>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.txt <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.txt>
>  - plaintext Internet-Draft format (warning - contains explicit formfeed characters)
> 
>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.log <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.log>
>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.pdf <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.pdf>
> This document has already been accepted and posted to the IETF I-D repository.
>

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:47:46 -0500

Smith,

> On Dec 18, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Ira,

printer-uri-supported
uri-authentication-supported
uri-security-supported

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:47:35 -0500

Hi Smith,

The "three sisters" (and various other names) are the three parallel
and order-dependent arrays in RFC 2911:  "printer-uri-supported",
"uri-authentication-supported", and "uri-security-supported".

The later collection attribute "printer-xri-supported" in RFC 3380
was copied from SLP and LDAP Printer Schema to allow an admin
to "get it right" and do atomic updates of the "three sisters".  See
definition and examples of usage on pages 26-28 of RFC 3380.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434