Subject: [IPP] Registration request for attributes from "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" for PCLm

From: "Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 19:20:50 +0000

Greetings,

HP Inc. requests the registration of 5 IPP attributes defined in the "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" relating to the PCLm document format definition therein. The "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" is one of the files in the "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Technical Specification Package v1.2" available here: https://www.wi-fi.org/file/wi-fi-peer-to-peer-services-technical-specification-package-v12

These are the attributes to be registered with accompanying section numbers from the source specification where they were defined:

    Job Template Attributes:
    ---------------------------------

    3.12.4 pclm-raster-back-side (keyword)
    This Job Template attribute specifies the bitmap coordinate system for
    the back side of duplex sheets and the following keyword values are
    defined:

        +---------+------------------+-------------------+
        | KEYWORD | LONG EDGE ORIGIN | SHORT EDGE ORIGIN |
        +---------+------------------+-------------------+
        | Normal  | top-left         | top-left          |
        | Rotated | bottom-right     | top-left          |
        | Flipped | bottom-left      | top-right         |
        +---------+------------------+-------------------+

    3.12.8 pclm-source-resolution (resolution)
    This attribute specifies the source resolution of the current job.
    Resolution is specified in dots-per-inch.

    Printer Description Attributes
    ---------------------------------

    3.12.9 pclm-source-resolution-supported (1setOf resolution)
    This attribute enumerates the printer’s supported source resolutions
    (specific to PCLm). Specifies the resolution or range of source
    resolutions supported by the printer. The return value(s) shall be in
    dots-per-inch. Typically, a printer will produce better resolution and
    perform better when the source and printer resolution are equal.

    3.12.10 pclm-strip-height-preferred (integer)
    This attribute specifies the preferred strip height for the printer for
    jobs that have PCLm document format.

    3.12.11 pclm-strip-height-supported (1setOf integer)
    This attribute specifies the strip/swath height that the printer
    requires. If non-zero, the Strip Height shall be a power of 2 and shall
    not be less than 16. The strip height is specified in source space
    coordinates. This attribute is only required for PCLm jobs. Strip height
    is relative to page i.e. if 16 means strip height is = page length/16.

    A return value of 0 indicates that the entire page should be delivered to
    the printer as a single strip, e.g. strip height is equal to the page
    height, resulting in a strip count of 1.

    The default for a printer shall be 16.

Cheers,
Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless & Standards Architect - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB-IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 18:46:15 -0400

Smith,

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Greetings,
> 

Keyword values need to be lowercase to be registered...  Also, is this really a Job Template attribute? How does a Client know which coordinate system to use for a given Printer?

>    Resolution is specified in dots-per-inch.

I'm not sure how I feel about forcing the units - the resolution syntax supports both dots-per-inch and dots-per-centimeter...

(not that it matters for the registration - the Printer will tell the Client which values it will support...)

>    Printer Description Attributes

See above.

>    jobs that have PCLm document format.

Height in pixels/lines, right?

>    is relative to page i.e. if 16 means strip height is = page length/16.

"Source space coordinates" == "pixels/lines"?

>    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer