Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [Cfrg] Round 2 of the PAKE selection process

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:12:34 -0500

FYI - Round 2 candidates for IRTF Crypto Forum selection of IETF-standard
Password-based Authenticated Key Exchange protocols/algorithms.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:02 AM
Subject: [Cfrg] Round 2 of the PAKE selection process
To: CFRG <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

Dear CFRG,

As we've announced at the CFRG session today, now we're starting the Round
2 of the PAKE selection process.

We have narrowed down choices to: two balanced (SPAKE2 and CPace) and two
augmented (OPAQUE and AuCPace).

Some additional information can be found in my slides from the IETF 106
CFRG meeting:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/106/materials/slides-106-cfrg-pake-selection-update

Please take a look at the plan and especially at Stage 1 - please send your
additional questions to be considered at Round 2 to [email-masked]
until December, 5th.

Round 2 of the PAKE selection process
Stage 1: November, 21st - December, 5th
Additional questions for all four candidates are collected from CFRG
participants  (and Crypto Review Panel members). The questions can be of
one of possible types:
a) Requests for clarifications for the candidate protocols or their
proposed modifications (e.g., security of CPace and AuCPace without
negotiation of sid, security and convenient of SPAKE2 with a hash2curve
function used to obtain M and N for each pair of identifiers).
b) Questions to be taken into account in addition to ones collected at
Stage 1 of Round 1 (e.g., quantum annoyance, post-quantum preparedness).
The questions should be sent to [email-masked].

Stage 2: December, 10th - December, 17th
A list of new questions is published on
https://github.com/cfrg/pake-selection; the CFRG is asked whether anything
else should be added.

Stage 3: December 25th - February, 10th
The authors of the candidates prepare their replies to the additional
questions/requested clarifications.

Stage 4: February, 12th - March, 10th
Crypto Review Panel members prepare new overall reviews (for all 4
remaining PAKEs) taking into account both the reviews obtained on Round 1
and new information obtained during Round 2.

IETF 107:
The CFRG chairs discuss the obtained reviews and make their recommendations
to CFRG (or convey to CFRG that they can’t make a recommendation yet).
If everything is clear:
- one (or zero) balanced PAKE is selected;
- one (or zero) augmented PAKE is selected;
- the process with CFRG document “Recommendations for password-based
authenticated key establishment in IETF protocols” is initiated: all
practically important recommendations (parameter selection, protecting
implementations against side-channel attacks, handling of counters etc.)
must be given there.

Best regards,
Stanislav Smyshlyaev
CFRG Secretary
_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp